Dismissing Barriers

rjcurrie

Question

Hey Steve:

To quote 6E:

A Barrier, once created, is a physical object that remains in existence until destroyed by attacks, the passage of time, or other factors. If a character wants a Barrier that he has to “maintain,” he should apply the Limitation Costs Endurance (to maintain; -½).

The way I read this, you can define an appropriate method for your Barrier to go away when you purchase the Power. For example:

• A wall of stone will last until it is destroyed or it is worn away by time.
  • A wall of ice will last until it is destroyed or it melts.

Can you also simply define a Barrier as dismissible? That is, when you no longer want it, you can just make it go away. Or could you define it to simply to go away when you are Stunned or knocked unconscious?

Basically, I'm looking at how to create the equivalent of 5e Force Walls. Obviously for a "Force Wall" that costs END to keep up, you use "Costs END to maintain" buy what about the equivalent of a 0 END Force Wall, can you simply buy the Barrier to 0 END and define it as going away when you are Stunned, Knocked Out, or wish to dismiss it?

1 answer to this question

Re: Dismissing Barriers

Obviously if a Barrier costs END to maintain, it will vanish if the character stops paying END for whatever reason. Other than that, as the text you quote notes, a Barrier is a physical object -- a character can't simply "dismiss" it or define it as "I can make it go away whenever I want." It has to be destroyed, eroded by the passage of time, or what have you. Special effects may play a part -- a Wall Of Ice would melt in the hot summer sun, whereas a Wall Of Iron wouldn't -- but that's a matter best left to the GM, common sense, and dramatic sense.

If the GM did want to allow "dismissal" of Barriers, that could be allowed as a +5 Character Point Adder, Dismissable. Dismissing a Barrier would be a Zero Phase Action.