Mind Link

Sean Waters

Mind Link is peristent (I don't think much if anything has changed between 5e and 6e) and yet, if the person establishing the Mind Link is knocked out, they have to re-establsh the link when they wake up. Isn't that how 'constant' works?

It seems to me that the power is not persistent at all, in that basic form. Thoughts?

Re: Mind Link

Actuallies.. no - it specifically says that Mind Link is maintained when the establishing character is knocked out, goes to sleep, etc. Not only that, anyone else in the Link can continue to communicate through it.

Wording hasn't changed, same in both 5 and 6E.

I'm not suggesting the wording has changed, I'm suggesting it makes no sense. The bit you quote doesn't sound contraversial but then you read on...

Since Mind Link is Persistent, if the character establishing the Link is Knocked Out, goes to sleep, or the like, the other characters in the Mind Link can maintain it. When the character who was Knocked Out wakes up, he can rejoin the Link by establishing LOS with anyone in the Link and making an MCV Attack Roll against MCV 0. If all the characters in a Link are Knocked Out or otherwise become unconscious, the Link vanishes and has to be established all over again by the character with the Power.

What is the difference between the Mind Link going away when a character is KO'd and it remaining but needing to be established again in precisely the same way as it would need to be established if it had gone away?

Frankly it is just weird that the link remains at all if the character who created it is not in it, and I suppose that is the 'persistent' element here, but it is an unnecessarily complex way to do it. It would make more sense, and take less space, to simply remove this confusing wording because we know what 'Persistent' means (well, that point may be debateable), and this 're-establish with LOS and MCV' is not it: persistent means it is unaffected by unconciousness, or should be. You would not be able to communicate with the unconscious person through Mind Link, but then you could not communicate with them if you were right next to them shouting in their ear, if they were unconscious but, like the power of hearing, which is also persistent, it should be fully functioning when you come around.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the confusion...

I guess the whole thing could depend on SFX. If you're using Mind Link for radios, unconciousness shouldn't matter.

If I had any issue with it - it'd the sentence about needing to re-establish the whole deal if everyone where KO'd. But that could be a balance thing.

I'm confused because a persistent power should be completely unaffected by unconsciousness. You shouldn't have to reestablish the link because, if you do need to, the power is not persistent. I don't see any game balance issues here any more than with most other persistent powers. The power is partially persistent, as written:

A could establish a link between A, B, C and D, and if A is KO'd the link remains between B, C and D, (even if they do not have Mind Link themselves) but A is effectively out of the link until he can re-estanlish it, which he does by coming into LOS of one of the other members and making a mental attack.