6th Ed: Deflection

dsatow

Question

With the standard clauses*

As I understand what I've read so far on Deflection and Blocking Ranged, deflection just allows you to deflect anything at range and what was originally missle deflection now anyone can do, albeit at a severe penalty.

1) Can you add No Range Mod. to Deflect to remove the range penalties? I am assuming yes as this was possible in 5th.

2) I assume that if you are using the Deflect power that you are not considered unarmed. Just making sure.

3) Can you add Area of Effect Accurate to the Deflect to make it easier to deflect? IE, change their OCV down to 3. As an example, say I have a rather large star spangled shield I toss between the target and the attacker rather than trying to deflect the attack with say a purple arrow.

4) Is there a chart or better guideline to blocking ranged while unarmed? It just states -4 OCV to block min. while unarmed. I guess I have a hard time envisioning that especially for thrown items. Too many Kung Fu shows where the monk blocks thrown spears/arrows with ease, or a football player intercepts a pass (which to me seems like a block and would be at -6 OCV, something few NFL players could do).

*Standard Clause: I am reading the 6e books as fast as I am able given the amount of pages and lack of time. Please forgive me if there is a clarifying section farther ahead.

1 answer to this question

Re: 6th Ed: Deflection

1. Yes, No Range Modifier can be applied to Deflection to eliminate the Range Modifier.

2. There’s no assumption here either way. Some of the examples listed on 6E1 187 involve being armed, some do not; neither of the examples in the sidebar on 6E1 188 involve a character being armed.

3. No, Area Of Effect (Accurate) cannot be applied to Deflection.

4. No, there is not; this is a matter of applying common sense and dramatic sense.