Damage Over Time / Extra Time

director13

Re: Damage Over Time / Extra Time

I don't think you need Damage Over Time for this. That Advantage is for attacks that cause damage multiple times. If you only want to damage once, but for there to be a delay before the damage takes effect, I think a form of Extra Time is what you are looking for. However, this is not normally the way Extra Time works for attack powers, so whether you get the full value is probably an issue for your GM.

It appears to me this is functionality that has actually been lost from 5E to 6E, where Gradual Effect did this easily and concisely. Bummer. Maybe Gradual Effect made it into the APG? :(

Sadly, the APG doesn't, and the default for DOT is one instance. I don't know why (and don't expect enlightenment) DOT didn't work more like Charges, in that the default was a limitation, but you could buy it up higher to an advantage (although one not capped at +1).

An opportunity for a single mechanic that made sense was lost. Makes me cry.

I think the idea was that instead of, say, an RKA 6d6 w/ Gradual Effect, you'd have an RKA 1d6 w/ Damage Over Time, at a similar final cost and effect. But it does break down for damage which only happens one time - that should always be a limitation, not an advantage.

Sadly, the APG doesn't, and the default for DOT is one instance. I don't know why (and don't expect enlightenment) DOT didn't work more like Charges, in that the default was a limitation, but you could buy it up higher to an advantage (although one not capped at +1).

An opportunity for a single mechanic that made sense was lost. Makes me cry.

I believe the reason is in active points.

6d6 KA with Gradual Effect over 1 Turn is 90 Active Points

1d6 KA with 6 DOT increments over 1 Turn is 45 Active Points

The later seems more reasonable for most games.

I don't think you need Damage Over Time for this. That Advantage is for attacks that cause damage multiple times. If you only want to damage once' date=' but for there to be a delay before the damage takes effect, I think a form of [i']Extra Time[/i] is what you are looking for. However, this is not normally the way Extra Time works for attack powers, so whether you get the full value is probably an issue for your GM.

It appears to me this is functionality that has actually been lost from 5E to 6E, where Gradual Effect did this easily and concisely. Bummer. Maybe Gradual Effect made it into the APG? :(

The Extra Time description specifically mentions using it to represent an attack with delayed effects.

In 6e, a poison that takes an extra turn to take effect from being inflicted either has a +1 (1 time / 1 turn) Advantage or an (Optional) -1 1/4 Limitation on it, although in the latter case by default it could be interrupted.

Right?

Extra Time would be the limitation to use, but I don't see anything in the description of Extra Time saying the damage would be interruptible.

Extra Time would be the limitation to use' date=' but I don't see anything in the description of Extra Time saying the damage would be interruptible.[/quote']

I do. 6E1 375

"

All powers with Extra Time are subject to

being interrupted. At the GM’s discretion, if the

character is interrupted while activating the power

— for example, by taking STUN or BODY damage

from, or otherwise being affected by, an attack —

then it may stop activating. A character must pay

the full END cost for a power with this Limitation

when he begins activating it, so he loses the END

even if he stops activating it or is interrupted."

Because it would be pointless?

All Powers automatically do 1 Increment Per Phase.

If you try and extend that over a Turn instead of a Phase you're Limiting the Power, not Advantaging it.

therefore 1 Increment Per Turn is not a Damage Over Time Allotment.

It's also simply not intended to work only once, to be honest about it.

Those are pretty good reasons, the fact that DOT has "1 Turn" as a +0 modifier for duration but no +0 for 1 instance also suggests the same.

But (setting aside DOT and Extra Time both have duration modifiers and integrating them would save space and, you know, make sense) if Damage over Time wasn't intended to be used for a single instance, why not call it "Repeated Damage Over Time"?

Or set the default to 2 instances instead of 1, and have that actually be selectable? Anybody want to buy a 0 DC Blast for 5 points?

DoT can actually be a Limitation, if you choose a long enough Increment.

Just out of curiosity, have you read the description for Damage Over Time?

Three times now. Did I miss the part where it says the default is 1 instance, 1 turn for +1, but you can't actually take it for 1 instance (even though that's the default)?

I did see where it says "Depending on the number of times the target takes damage, the length of the period, and how defenses apply, Damage Over Time can be an Advantage or a Limitation".

I suppose "if the number of times is 1, that's a completely different limitation" would be confusing. Or setting the default to 2, if that's the least you can actually take?

The way I see it, you select what you want from each section of the chart (there is no 1 increment entry; you can add one if you really want, but it doesn't make much sense given the advantageous nature and intent of Damage Over Time). The +1 is basically a flat surtax on top of whatever options you choose.

Prestidigitator has the gist of the idea I was trying to convey. You have to choose an item from each category, and there is not 1 Increment.

I don't think you missed any parts specifically - but I do think you're overlooking the general idea, and intent, of the Advantage. It is to make a Power work multiple times over a period of time.

There is no point in making it work once over a period of time greater than the Phase you are in, as they would simply be a delay on the single instance.