Balancing Magic and Martial Characters in a Fantasy Setting

shadowmage87

Re: Balancing Magic and Martial Characters in a Fantasy Setting

You know this statement comes up alot. But I heard once though that men in the real world almost always define themselves by their jobs. Think about how many times in a new situation the question comes up; "What do you do for a livining". And we reply .... Now it probally has to do with other things as well' date=' but we do state our "class" in conversation. Just a random thought.[/quote']

This is heavily dependent on culture. In north america its usu. the first or second question people ask. In Israel, I have people I've known for years where its never come up. I have one very dear friend who I *think* I have a pretty good idea of what he does for a living. We never talk about how we make money. We talk about family, torah, politics, and the like. Its not as important here. Often people do ask, but its often not at the first meeting, or if it is, its after other topics have been exhausted. There are exceptions, but those tend to be westernized careerists. Part of this is anglo culture tends to consider many topics taboo for polite conversation - especially with people who haven't risen above the level of acquaintance. As a result, the tendency is to get to know someone's public/professional persona before discussing more substantial matters. I see merits in both approaches. My point: its not "men," but men from the culture you are most familiar with.