Dynamite Entertainment: Zorro, the Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers, Sherlock Holmes comics

KawangaKid

TNLRDefinHCCov.jpg

It seems that Dynamite Entertainment has been doing really well with their pulp characters. The Lone Ranger is a critically-acclaimed series and has gone past the one year mark; Zorro has also gone past the one year mark -- both are good reads and expand the normally very cursory treatment of their origins.

I enjoyed the origin of the Lone Ranger -- very gritty and a strong western feel. I like the darkness of the character (particularly the bit about the bullet holes and the mask he wears). I like the pseudo-mystical elements brought about by Tonto and the the silver mine as well.

Zorro has great historical depth and surprising elements -- the secret organization that young Diego de la Vega joins in Spain where he first takes on his nom de guerre El Zorro, the mention of La Destreza (the Spanish school of fencing), and the short cameo of author Arturo Perez y Reverte are among my favorites.

I don't know if there's a current series out for the Green Hornet.

I like the Buck Rogers series, though it seems less pulp and more a space opera comic (with homages to its pulp origins) and probably better for Star Hero.

The Sherlock Holmes series (The Trial of Sherlock Holmes) is aptly highly cerebral, but is rich with the characters from the short stories.

Useful Resources on the Site regarding the histories of the various incarnations of the character can be found here:

The Lone Ranger

Tonto

Zorro

Buck Rogers

Sherlock Holmes

The Green Hornet

Re: Dynamite Entertainment: Zorro, the Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers, Sherlock Holmes comi

Dynamite has a fantastic model for comic production. All of their material is top notch. My only gripe really from them is you get more "advertisement" then comics, on a comparative page count vs the other Indies but their Quality, is off the chart. Also their return to the comic fold of the Great Golden Age characters like The Black Terror (one of my favorites), will of course keep them in my favor for some time to come. Plus I still owe them credit for the Fantastic Invaders vs the Avengers run they did as well.

Well worth the coin spent. Phenomenal material resource as well.

~Rex

Re: Dynamite Entertainment: Zorro, the Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers, Sherlock Holmes comi

Invaders vs the Avengers (or visa versa, I lean towards the Invaders out of habit, because Invaders > Avengers) was one of the best reads in comics this year. I do believe, they have a GN planned for it. Great Stuff.

~Rex

Just makes me want to dig out all my Wold Newton material heh......

Yeah the Lone Ranger stuff I was exceedingly impressed with. I haven't looked through the Holmes material because I own all the real books for those and it feels almost sacrilegious, but the Buck Rogers stuff I would say, is a Must Have. A VERY nice re-telling of the story, and a brilliant way to combine the Original look, with the modern Style.

~Rex