Spells for Avina Campaign

Odraude

I've been working a bit on spells for the campaign I am going to run in January. While the players will be able to make any spell they want, I am making some to act as inspiration for powers. I've been keeping each spell around 60 AP (or close) with the proper limitations for each type of magic user. Anyways, I am going to post some of these spells here to see what you all think of them.

Here is the first one, an alchemist's infusion (see the alchemist section in the other thread above)

Rune of the Rimefire Slash: The alchemist quickly draws a rune on a weapon, temporary storing the powers of the punishing blizzard and the raging inferno. When slashing an enemy with the infused sword, the power releases itself. It freezes the opponent in a block of ice and burns their soul with flames for a time.

Entangle 2d6 BODY 3 PD/3 ED, Delayed Effect (+1/4), 31 AP; Concentration (0 DCV, Unaware; -3/4), OAF (Bladed Weapon of Some Sort; -1), RSR (Infuse Power Roll; -1/2), Vulnerable to Heat Attacks (Easy to Determining; -1), Unified Power (Rimefire Slash; -1/4), No Range (-1/2), 6 RP

plus

Energy Blast 1d6 NND (Defense is Life Support [Hot Temperatures], shuts off after Entangle is shattered; +1), Does BODY (+1), Damage Over Time (5 damage Increments Every Other Segment, Shuts Off Immediately If Entangle Is Broken, Non-Cumulative/Stacking; +0), 15 AP; RSR (Infuse Power Roll; -1/2), OAF (Bladed Weapon of Some Sort; -1), Linked (Lesser Power, Used to Full Value, Greater is Constant; -1/2), Unified Power (Rimefire Slash; -1/4), No Range (-1/2), 4 RP

Total: 63 AP; 14 RP

Thoughts?

Re: Spells for Avina Campaign

That's a pretty killer spell - a big strong dude with 20STR is likely going to be badly hurt and/or near death before he can break out of the entangle (he's going to be in there for 7 phases on average) - anyone with 17 or less STR is likely to be to totally wiped out by the first hit. If you allow spells of this magnitude and power you're either going to have to stack extra limitations on magic users or accept that all your best fighters (probably all your PCs, actually) will be mages.

cheers, Mark

I've updated the power so that now, the damage over time doesn't stack per Entangle. Instead, one has to let it run its course before getting that effect again.

Also, could one just haymaker out of the Entangle? i don't see why they couldn't. It would mean a STR 10 could have a good chance at breaking out, especially if they had help from their buddies.

Thoughts on current power?

I've updated the power so that now, the damage over time doesn't stack per Entangle. Instead, one has to let it run its course before getting that effect again.

Also, could one just haymaker out of the Entangle? i don't see why they couldn't. It would mean a STR 10 could have a good chance at breaking out, especially if they had help from their buddies.

Thoughts on current power?

I see no problem with using a Haymaker to break out of an Entangle, though I hadn't thought about it before. I mean, standing still and concentrating your strength is pretty much the definition, in most circumstances. And that is EXACTLY what I would be doing if I was frozen in a block of ice. Hmm. Maybe dependent on the SFX of the Entangle. In this particular case, I could see it.

I see no problem with using a Haymaker to break out of an Entangle' date=' though I hadn't thought about it before. I mean, standing still and concentrating your strength is pretty much the definition, in most circumstances. And that is EXACTLY what I would be doing if I was frozen in a block of ice. Hmm. Maybe dependent on the SFX of the Entangle. In this particular case, I could see it.[/quote']

Agreed. Really makes sense to me.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and is having an awesome Boxing Day. Here is another power, or more accurately, a group of powers. Its a concept I've been running through my head to use "token" abilities, where you mark a target or gather marks on yourself to use powerful abilities. Here is one such concept for a shaman.

Invocation of the Wrathful Elemental Anima: The shaman uses a special technique to summon minor spirits to haunt an enemy. The spirits do no harm to the enemy on their own, but they act as a spiritual beacon to the ferocious anima of the elements. Each time the shaman makes a successful attack with his shaman powers (not including the ones in this multipower), he "tags" the target with the spirit (1 Charge). He can do this up to 10 times on various targets or the same target. When the shaman wants to invoke an elemental animus on a target, he uses up the appropriate amount of spirits that are attached to that target then attacks. Whenever a target dies, the spirits (charges) that were tagged to it are lost. Cynoa always starts each combat encounter with no spirits (Charges).

50 Point Multipower, Charges (10, Starts Each Encounter With 0 Charges, Each Charge Regained With a Successful Shaman Spell That is Not a Part of this Multipower, Charges Are Locked Onto Each Target of the Successful Attack [see text]; -1/2), All Slots Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power (Power Must Use Charges Locked on a Target and Is Centered on Target; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Focus (OAF, Totem Spear; -1), Anima Wraith (-1/4), RSR (Invoke Anima Power Roll; -1/2), 12 RP

1m) Immolation of Phaeyus, the Fire Animus: The shaman speaks the true name of Phaeyus, invoking the angry spirit from its slumber. Phaeyus fires a powerful bolt of fire that engulfs the target in a torrent of flames that can pierce through armour. This attack requires 2 spirits tagged onto the target.

RKA 2d6+1, Armour Piercing (+1/4), ACV (Non-Mental Power Uses OMCV; +0), 44 AP; Requires 2 Charges (-1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power (Power Must Use Charges Locked on a Target and Is Centered on Target; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Focus (OAF, Totem Spear; -1), Anima Wraith (-1/4), RSR (Invoke Anima Power Roll; -1/2), 8 RP

2m) Maelstrom of Oseyus, the Ocean Animus: The name of Oseyus is spoken, calling upon the water animus. Oseyus traps the target and nearby allies in a whirlpool of rapids and knocks them about. This attack requires 3 spirits tagged onto the target, however, the attack is centered on the target and affects everyone in the blast.

Physical Blast 6d6, AoE (Radius 8m; +1/2), ACV (Non-Mental Power Uses OMCV; +0), 45 AP; Requires 3 Charges (-1 1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power (Power Must Use Charges Locked on a Target and Is Centered on Target; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Focus (OAF, Totem Spear; -1), Anima Wraith (-1/4), RSR (Invoke Anima Power Roll; -1/2), 7 RP

3m) Hurricane of Sylphyus, the Sky Animus: The shaman loudly bellows to the heavens, summoning Sylphyus of the sky. It summons the mighty hurricane to strike down all foes with powerful lightning bolts. This attack requires 3 spirits tagged onto the target, however, the attack is centered on the target and affects everyone in the blast.

Energy Blast 6d6, AoE (Radius 4m; +1/4), Indirect (5m above target; +1/4), ACV (Non-Mental Power Uses OMCV; +0), 45 AP; Requires 3 Charges (-1 1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power (Power Must Use Charges Locked on a Target and Is Centered on Target; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Focus (OAF, Totem Spear; -1), Anima Wraith (-1/4), RSR (Invoke Anima Power Roll; -1/2), 8 RP

4m) Earthquake of Tarreyus, the Earth Animus: The shaman drives his totem into the ground and calls upon Tarreyus, the great earth animus. Rage fills the ground as it erupts in fissures and launches a powerful lance of rock from the ground into the target, bypassing most armour. This attack requires 2 spirits tagged onto the target.

RKA 1 1/2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Indirect (Comes From Below Target; +1/4), ACV (Non-Mental Power Uses OMCV; +0), 44 AP; Requires 2 Charges (-1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power (Power Must Use Charges Locked on a Target and Is Centered on Target; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Focus (OAF, Totem Spear; -1), Anima Wraith (-1/4), RSR (Invoke Anima Power Roll; -1/2), Target Must Be Near or On the Ground (within 10m; -1/2), 8 RP

5m) Harvest of Oaithar, the Death Animus: The environment chills as the shaman chants to summon an oaithar, a servant of Oai and an animus of death. The shrouded figured raises its curved scythe and cuts through the very soul of the victim. No armour can protect against the spectre's attack, however some magical defenses can help to withstand the onslaught. This attack requires 5 spirits tagged onto the target.

RKA 1d6, AVLD (Power Defense; +1), Does BODY (+1), ACV (Non-Mental Power Uses OMCV; +0), 45 AP; Requires 5 Charges (-1 1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (Both Hands; -1/2), Limited Power (Powers Can Only Use Charges That Have Been Set On a Target; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Focus (OAF, Totem Spear; -1), Anima Wraith (-1/4), RSR (Invoke Anima Power Roll; -1/2), 8 RP

Thoughts?