Lockheed Martin HULC Exoskeleton

Old Man

Re: Lockheed Martin HULC Exoskeleton

So, what is the worst way this exoskelton could break? Locks up so you can't move? Jerks around and snaps your bones? Power source explodes cinematically?

When it happens, how hard to you want it to be to get out?

Long ago, I ran a quite successful 'FASA Trek' Klingon campaign. The PCs were the crew of a Bird Of Prey (pre-Praxis), the usual mix of personalities. The token Marine decided that he wanted real STARSHIP TROOPERS-type armour. I ruled that, basically, the "big" players (the Federation, Klingons and Romulans) preferred lighter and more advanced forms of protection for their troops - great big powersuits were over a century out of date, possibly more. Some other races still used PA for specialized tasks, but most of the users were VERY non-humanoid, In short, PAs existed in my version of the Trekverse, but they were rare and usually found in either museums or really odd places.

Over the course of several adventures the Marine kept searching. His big chance came when the ship visited Orion. The Orions trade with EVERYBODY and run the underworld for a good-sized chunk of the Known Galaxy so, he reasoned, they would surely either have PAs or know where to get them. So, when it came time to conduct "private business", whilst other crewmembers were stocking up on Saurian Brandy and Romulan Ale (and wondering if their Captain could be talked into letting Green Orion slave girls sign up as extra crew), he went suit-hunting.

He eventually found one. A copy of a copy of an old pre-Federation system. Suitable for Klingon use, with modifications. For sale. At a price that he could (barely) afford. He bought it (big surprise).

Not being totally crazy, he then had the Engineer and a couple of others check it out before he would even consider putting it on (he expected much re-building, whatever happened). They had to default to basic technical skills (not something they had ever trained for, after all) but were soon able to say they THOUGHT it was OK. Pretty sure, anyhow.

He did a couple of unpowered test runs with no major problems. Then he tried a fullpower test run. In the cargo bay. By himself.

It is a toss-up whether it was the loud jackhammer effect or his equally loud screaming echoing through the ship that brought the rest of the crew running. The bad news was that the suit basically had a "grand mal" seizure when fully activated. The worse news was that the Marine was wearing it when this happened. It started by rapidly inflicting a bunch of dents in the deck and bulkheads then, as a final gesture, twisted into a posture that maybe an advanced Yogi could achieve - IF he had been on some really bad meds, and was possibly psychotic as well.

The crew spend a couple of minutes looking at their Marine (loudly expressing his discomfort).

Somebody finally asks the obvious: "How are we getting him out of that suit?"

The Engineer, obviously just waiting for this line, dramatically lights up his cutting torch and, with an evil grin, answers: "Don't worry. I'LL get him out."

Between that and the extended session in sickbay afterwards (Klingon chiropractice - think about it); the Marine kind of lost interest in PAs.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally' date=' I'm holding out for a suit of powered armor, like they had in the novel [b']STARSHIP TROOPERS[/b]. The novel, NOT the movie.

They were nowhere near as refined as Tony Stark's Iron Man armor, but much closer to something you'd mass produce to outfit your troops with.

Plus they have nukes.

I'm not convinced they're going to turn this into power armor. If it becomes armor it will become difficult to remove, whereas now it's just a few straps.

We have to contemplate the question "what is the worst time and the worst way this machine could break?"

Here's an example. I used to have an old car that had cruise control. It didn't work. I didn't care, my gas pedal worked fine. One day while driving through town my engine started reving. I tried pumping the gas pedal, but nothing happend. I tried the brake, but the engine just powered on. I had to turn off the engine before I ran a red light. It turned out that the cruise control had risen like a zombie and tried to kill me. So,

Works perfectly: The cruise control will let you maintain a specific speed more easily.

Breaks at the worst time and in the worst way: The cruise control will try to kill you.

So, what is the worst way this exoskelton could break? Locks up so you can't move? Jerks around and snaps your bones? Power source explodes cinematically?

When it happens, how hard to you want it to be to get out?

Panic button with explosive bolts, takes 1/2 second plus however long you have to hold the button down. Actually faster than getting the straps off. If soldiers can carry more weight the obvious thing to do is give them more armor with the bigger guns and more ammunition. What you really need is a way to open up the armor panels if you get wounded.