6e Shields, again

Chimera 12

Question

I'm not sure I understand the question. Shields provide a DCV bonus' date=' subject to a STR Minimum restriction. The special rules for shields provide that if a character Blocks with a shield, he can instead apply the DCV bonus as an OCV bonus (since Block of course uses OCV not DCV to determine the defensive effect) (see 6E2 211, the equivalent page in 5ER or FH, etc., etc. -- AFAIK this rule's been around for decades). If a character chooses to use his shield's bonus for OCV for a Block, obviously he can't also use it for DCV until his next Phase... though of course the Block itself may provide a DCV modifier.[/quote']

What I think is in question here is in fact the "obviousness" of the shield bonus becoming unavailable for DCV if the shield is being used to block...because there's nothing in the 6E rulebook actually saying that that happens (unless I missed it), and no obvious reason to think it would do so by default. (It's not even bought as a combat skill level anymore, as I understand it, which kind of eliminates "you can only use it in either OCV or DCV because that's how CSLs work" as a possible justification.)

1 answer to this question