A Matter of Balance

Dr Divago

Re: Balancing Encounter 2

Originally posted by Dr Divago

Well, now, i'll make an Hipothesys (presumption?):

We're assuming that RedCap is balanced with other PC, i means that effectiveness of RedCap is equal than average effectivenes of the single PC

So the problem is: is sufficient RedCap or is necessary to party her with other villain?

If I understood your question, I think you implicitly answered it. If RedCap is balanced with a SINGLE PC, then RedCap should be severely disadvantage the more PCs at that level of effectiveness are added.

Also, I'd assure, if I were you, that your villains were a little more powerful than the heroes. I know I said this before, but I stress it as unless you are a very skilled tacticians, you as GM facing several players will be at a disadvantage.

Originally posted by zornwil

If I understood your question, I think you implicitly answered it. If RedCap is balanced with a SINGLE PC, then RedCap should be severely disadvantage the more PCs at that level of effectiveness are added.

Well, so next question: with teleport, 2d6 nnd eb with no range e suppression, without significant defensive powers (unless armor "only up to absorption" is considered "significant"... :)), she's advantaged in an encounter with many PC? i think not...

Also, I'd assure, if I were you, that your villains were a little more powerful than the heroes. I know I said this before, but I stress it as unless you are a very skilled tacticians, you as GM facing several players will be at a disadvantage.

Yes yes you're right

Then...

(time to dinner here in italy; i'll continue next time :)

(Dinner ended, i'll continue)

Then, i've some ideas for the "enemy party", so:

1) Reptilia, a pretty and poisonous girl, with reptilian eyes and tongue (see heat sources), poisonus bite (hand attack) and spit of the cobra (ranged, NND; i guess drain con or drain body or like... maybe a multipower). Specialty: double jointed (and tripled and more :) :) :))

2) Ghost, an infamous boy able to become ethereal (desolid) and invisible

3) Little boy, a mechasoldier (soldier brick half human half machine) very smart and tactical (yeah, intelligent brick.. fear of humanity!:P :p)

4) Polimorf, a strange mutant able to polymorph in any object (or like... but how can i make the polymorfing ability?)

5) Unstoppable; simple useless boy, with the ability to regenerate near all wound

6) Five-In-One, an villain, who duplicate in five different villain...

Or, put several "little enemy", enemy not so powerful, like previously encountered, with increased threat of Red Cap (and other enemies, eventually...)

I wait for your reply...

(«Flex my muscles,

and i'm in the void»

Rat Man)

Originally posted by Dr Divago

Well, so next question: with teleport, 2d6 nnd eb with no range e suppression, without significant defensive powers (unless armor "only up to absorption" is considered "significant"... :)), she's advantaged in an encounter with many PC? i think not...

Yes yes you're right

Then...

(time to dinner here in italy; i'll continue next time :)

(Dinner ended, i'll continue)

Then, i've some ideas for the "enemy party", so:

1) Reptilia, a pretty and poisonous girl, with reptilian eyes and tongue (see heat sources), poisonus bite (hand attack) and spit of the cobra (ranged, NND; i guess drain con or drain body or like... maybe a multipower). Specialty: double jointed (and tripled and more :) :) :))

2) Ghost, an infamous boy able to become ethereal (desolid) and invisible

3) Little boy, a mechasoldier (soldier brick half human half machine) very smart and tactical (yeah, intelligent brick.. fear of humanity!:P :p)

4) Polimorf, a strange mutant able to polymorph in any object (or like... but how can i make the polymorfing ability?)

5) Unstoppable; simple useless boy, with the ability to regenerate near all wound

6) Five-In-One, an villain, who duplicate in five different villain...

Or, put several "little enemy", enemy not so powerful, like previously encountered, with increased threat of Red Cap (and other enemies, eventually...)

I wait for your reply...

(«Flex my muscles,

and i'm in the void»

Rat Man)

Sounds like a good group. To do the polymorphing you could use a combo of shape shift and a VPP or multipower simulating the objects he polymorphs to. Or you could do a straight multiform, but then you have to buy a form for each thing he can polymorph into. I think 6 (or a similar number) of villains is plenty; I wouldn't do more only because of the slow-down that will represent in combat (the more NPCs, the more time it takes you to go through them all).

Another alternative is make sure this group is well-powered but not too tough, so that it's nearly certain the PCs will be victorious. That gives you a chance to see how they fight, gives them a chance to have some solid victory going in, gives them a chance to work out their characters, and builds up the game. Then you could have a RedCap who is more powerful than the heroes combined as their real challenge towards or at the end.

If you post the PCs and NPCs (if you have that kind of time) there are probably people here who could comment pretty well. I'm not that great at reading through lots of characters and making a comparison, but others here certainly are.

Originally posted by zornwil

Sounds like a good group.

sniip

Another alternative is make sure this group is well-powered but not too tough, so that it's nearly certain the PCs will be victorious. That gives you a chance to see how they fight, gives them a chance to have some solid victory going in, gives them a chance to work out their characters, and builds up the game.

Well, actually i'm thinking on making an "enemy party" of 2-3 people, so combat isn't too slow to handle...

Another NPC i've thinked is "Twinergy" (see below)

If you post the PCs and NPCs (if you have that kind of time) there are probably people here who could comment pretty well. I'm not that great at reading through lots of characters and making a comparison, but others here certainly are.

Well, i have no time, 'cause i'll be at the con in sunday; but no problem, 'cause i cannot play this adventure in the con (not finished yet:( and specially not playtested yet...:( ) and then i'm preparing for the NEXT con, or for play with my friends (and to playtest them:))

Then, this idea for a second NPC, Twinergy:

"When Margaret Pearson was pregnant, she was pregnant of TWO girls (twin girls), but when pregnancy ended, only one girl born; other simply was desappeared, like never existed. The girl was named Wendy Elysabeth

14 years after, when margart died, Wendy Elysabeth start crying on the bed, and when she stop crying she find... another girl crying on her bed! After initial moment («Who are you?» «NO! Who are YOU!!!») both decouver that she was... same person!"

Well, thi is the base concept: Wendy Elysabeth can duplicate in 2 distinct girls: Wend Pearson and Elysabeth Pearson :)

Now, other problem: Duplication Power description states that charachter A can duplicate in charachter B, but A is original and B is the "copy". Therefore, A pay for the power, B not. So if is Wendy-Elysabeth is build in a 250 point basis, Wendy pay 50 points for the duplication, and Wendy has 200 points free and Elysabeth 250... she are NOT equal...

Can i pay 250 points to make Elysabeth a 200 point characther (with Zero-phase recombination, +10 points to duplication cost)? this will make them absolutely identical; and i can assume that are not an "original" charachter and a "copy" but two original clones :)

(other chose can be build a transform power or a multiform power... but i think that duplication is better)

One think: i must post this on a new thread, or is better to continue in this thread?