Low Level Distinctive Features Bases compared to No Disquise/No Concealment Bases

Blue Jogger

Question

In 6th edition, one can make a perception roll to immediately recognize a base for what it is, and who owns it (assuming no disguise or concealment). Yet, there does not seem to be a prohibition that a base can also have Distinctive Features, which at the lowest level is Noticed and Recognized.

Is there a difference between a standard (no disguise, no concealment) base and a base that is Noticed and Recognized?

The absurd example we ran across was an underground base (with no disguise, no concealment) and (by strict rule lawyering) was therefore a simple perception roll would reveal that not only was it an underground base, but that the heroes were the owners. I was on the side that it did not make any dramatic sense to go through all the trouble of having an underground base and somehow it was Noticed and Recognizable and yet, I didn't get the points for Distinctive Features that one assumes the Fantastic Four gets with a huge rotating 4 on their building.

If it helps, I thought this was a perfect April 1st posting even though we have been arguing for two months now.

1 answer to this question

Re: Low Level Distinctive Features Bases compared to No Disquise/No Concealment Bases

There are rules on p. 32 of The Ultimate Base for Bases to take Distinctive Features, but generally speaking that's unusual. (Among other things, don't forget that Distinctive Features is supposed to be disadvantageous or hindering in some way; just being easily noticed is not per se disadvantageous, especially in fantastical or superhero settings.) Beyond that you simply have to apply common sense, dramatic sense, and rules sense. Many Bases are underground, but not all underground Bases are necessarily hidden, disguised, or hard to find. The rules provide a way to hide or disguise a Base. If you want your Base to be hidden or disguised, use those rules. If you don't use those rules, then the Base is relatively easy for anyone to perceive when they're in the area.