Whirlwind Attack

prestidigitator

I am trying to come up with a power that is like the Whirl Wind Attack of D&D. The idea is that a fighter can take one full attack against any and every oppenent (s)he can reach. I looked at the hand-to-hand weapons in the chart at the back of the book, and I believe the largest Base Point cost is about 35 points. I am inclined to build the power as a naked Advantage:

(Naked) Area of Effect: 2" radius, selective target (+1); Works with any hand-to-hand attack with 35 or fewer Base Points (-0); Concentrate: 1/2 DCV (-1/4); End x2 (-1/2); Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2) [35 active, 16 real, 7 End]

I am having a little bit of difficulty with what happens when the character is large, or has a weapon with reach. I guess this could be a full Area of Effect: radius, instead of being based on Area of Effect: 1 hex, and I could limit it with Only targets within reach (-1/4) or something, but this seems so arbitrary.

What do you think?

(Edit: fixed Area of Effect value and costs.)

Depending on how you wrote the character up... if the weapon is built as a power framework, I'd throw this in there as a regular HTH attack with AOE radius on it. The damage from the HTH attack would represent the extra damage provided by the weapon, and would get STR bonuses.

As for large characters, I believe there's already a 'reach' rule under growth powers (though I don't have my book with me). For every 3 or 4 levels of growth you get +1 reach. I would assume the growth power would give details on how that reach affects your attack range.

It's going to be all about AOE: radius, though. My thought is that if you've already paid for enough growth to get additional reach, the 1" radius AOE would cover all the /extra/ reach provided by the weapon. So if you have +1 reach from growth, and buy an additional +1" radius AOE attack, you'd have an effective 2" radius AOE attack because of your natural reach (which you already paid for elsewhere).

Hope this helps.