FFW Body Armor?

Icarium

I'm a newbie to the HERO System and am just starting to design a campaign based in the modern world around a company of monster hunters.

I'd like to build some body armor based on the FFW design, some info here - M.H.I. Body Armor

Below I've copied the stats of the first mock-up, which would include resistant protection, radio, night vision (infrared) and a gas mask. How would you put this all together using the multi power rules?

Level III Kevlar Body Armor: Resistant Protection

(8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points);

OIF (-½)

Required Roll 14- (-½)

Half Mass (-½)

Real Armor (-¼)

Cost: 9 Character Points

Radio Perception/Transmission

(Detect AM/FM/Police Radio Transmissions [3 Character Points], Transmit, Increased Arc Of Perception [360 Degrees]; Passive).

The character can perceive and transmit local AM, FM, and police-band radio signals.

Cost: 10 Character Points

Infrared Perception

(Detect Heat Patterns/Traces [5 Character Points]; Passive).

The character can perceive heat patterns and traces, but can only perceive the outlines of people and objects (unless there’s a source of infrared light

available). Cold objects are perceived as “dark,” while hot objects may be blindingly “bright.” Infrared Perception is not Discriminatory.

Cost: 5 Character Points

Gas Mask: Life Support

(Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points);

OIF (-½)

1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (-0)

Cost: 7 Character Points

Ideally I'd like full body coverage (Required Roll 15-??) and an extra point or two of PD and ED. Something to simulate vital scans of the wearer and location - possibly radar of some sort?

Re: FFW Body Armor?

Thanks for the clarification. I'll need to read a bit more into the powers to get a better feel for how this will work.

The idea is that each team member is issued the same body armor initially for 'free', given xp, but if lost or destroyed they would need to replace it using character points.

Just need to build the armor correctly in the first place tho' so that it's consistent for each PC.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Cheers!

There's an article I did for Digital Hero called "The 50 Millon Dollar Man" that presented the FWW concept in Hero terms. Also, a lot of that is found in Kazei 5.

Edit: I don't know what issue it's in, but you can buy back issues individually. It also presented 200 to 350-point versions of a basic soldier with all of the gear (including weapons.)

Here is what I've come up with for a first mock up of the armor.

M.H.I. FFW Body Armor, all slots OIF (-½) and Very Difficult to obtain (-½)

M.H.I. FFW Body Armor

Resistant Protection (9 PD/9 ED): 27 Character Points

Active Cost: 27

Required Roll 15- (-¼)

¼ Mass (-¼)

Real Armor (-¼)

OIF (-½)

Very Difficult to obtain (-½)

Real Cost: 10

The M.H.I. FFW Helmet includes the following:

Radio Perception/Transmission:

Detect & Transmit AM/FM/Police Radio Transmissions

Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees)

Active Cost: 10

OIF (-½)

Real Cost: 5

Advanced Nightvision:

Nightvision: 5 Character Points

Infrared Perception (Sight Group): 5 Character Points

OIF (-½)

Gas Mask:

Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing): 10 Character Points

1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (-0)

OIF (-½)

Radar:

Radar (No Sense Group, Targeting; Active): 15 Character Points

Discriminatory: 5 Character Points

Increased Arc Of Perception (360-Degrees): 5 Character Points

Active Cost: 25

OIF (-½)

Real Cost: 13

Ear Protection:

Hearing Group Flash Defense

Active Cost: 6

OIF (-½)

Real Cost: 3

Tinted Visor:

Sight Group Flash Defense

Active Cost: 6

OIF (-½)

Real Cost: 3

Total Real Cost = 44

If lost the armor will cost character points and $ to replace.

The only way to put them together into a single power would be to use the compound power build. Basically, a compound power is multiple powers built into a single power build. With a compound power, all of the powers can operate at the same time since there isn't a pool of points like there is with multi-power/variable power pool.

Re: Very Difficult To Obtain Limitation,

I was just going off the notes in the rule book; "Very Difficult to recover (it’s difficult or dangerous to obtain; it requires a lot of money or items of similar value; it’s rare or hard to find), this is an additional -½ Limitation."

My thought being that in the campaign the armor requires parts that are military grade and will need one of the characters to call in a favor or use a contact and will also cost a lot of money. Would that qualify as "Very Difficult"?

Re: Compound Powers,

The main point I read was that the Active Points in a compound power equals the sum of the Active Points the character combines to create the power. If I'm interpreting that correctly then I total all the active points in the suit and then apply the limitations?

Does it makes sense to treat the suit and helmet separately?

The Real Cost of the Body Armor would remain the same. But this would change the cost of the Helmet. Active Cost of the Helmet is 67, then apply the OIF (-½) and Very Difficult to obtain (-½) limitations making the Real Cost 34?

You would build each section in the compound power just like you would if it was a separate piece of equipment. You pick the power and the advantages/limitations for that slot normally. To find the total for the compound power is to add up all of the sections together for the final cost. For your armor, the compound armor sections would be body armor, helmet, radar, gas mask, radio, night vision, etc... Just total up each of the sections for the final cost. With a compound power it is possible to have completely different advantages and limitations for each section. Just remember that a compound power doesn't give you a cost break like a multi-power pool does.

Re: Very Difficult To Obtain Limitation,

I was just going off the notes in the rule book; "Very Difficult to recover (it’s difficult or dangerous to obtain; it requires a lot of money or items of similar value; it’s rare or hard to find), this is an additional -½ Limitation."

My thought being that in the campaign the armor requires parts that are military grade and will need one of the characters to call in a favor or use a contact and will also cost a lot of money. Would that qualify as "Very Difficult"?

Depends. Did the PCs start out with it? How often will it need to be replaced or repaired? If they have it, and not regularly need to service it, then you're getting an additional -1/2 for nothing really.

Here's an example of using compound powers from my upcoming setting book Inceptum Terminus: Chronicles of the New Confederation.

Light Full Body Armor: (Total: 18 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Resistant Protection (4 PD/4 ED) (8 Active Points); OIF Durable (-½), Half Mass (-½), Real Armor (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) plus Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼) (Real Cost: 8)

Each of the sections in the compound power are built normally with each section having its own advantages and limitations. The first section is just the defensive protection of the armor, the second contains the self contained breathing. Here's a sample of the power armor I created for the book. Both sets of armor are cover the entire body.

Light Powered Battle Armor: (Total: 88 Active Cost, 47 Real Cost) Resistant Protection (8 PD/8 ED/8 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items) (34 Active Points); OIF Durable (-½), Half Mass (-½), Real Armor (-¼) (Real Cost: 15) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) (3 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼) (Real Cost: 15) plus High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Affected as Sight and Hearing Groups as well as Radio Group (-¾), IIF Durable (-¼) (Real Cost: 6) plus Radar (Radio Group) (15 Active Points); Affected as Sight and Hearing Groups as well as Radio Group (-¾), IIF Durable (-¼) (Real Cost: 7) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Affected as Sight and Hearing Groups as well as Radio Group (-¾), IIF Durable (-¼) (Real Cost: 2)

You can do a lot with compound powers like you can with power pools. The thing that I really like about compound powers is that it makes the character sheet less cluttered and confusing since you don't have to try to figure out which of the powers goes in the armor or equipment and which ones don't. It's especially beneficial when you have characters that have a lot of powers either naturally or in the form of equipment.

Thanks for the examples!

I think I've got it now...

M.H.I. FFW Body Armor: (Total: 94 Active Cost, 48 Real Cost: ) Resistant Protection (9 PD/9 ED) (27 Active Points); Required Roll 15- (-¼), ¼ Mass (-¼), Real Armor (-¼), OIF Durable (-½), Very Difficult to obtain (-½) (Real Cost: 10) plus Radio, Detect & Transmit AM/FM/Police Radio Transmissions, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (10 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼), Very Difficult to obtain (-½) (Real Cost: 6) plus Advanced Nightvision, Nightvision (5 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼), Very Difficult to obtain (-½) (Real Cost: 3) plus Advanced Nightvision, Infrared Perception, Sight Group (5 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼), Very Difficult to obtain (-½) (Real Cost: 3) plus Gas Mask, Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (-0) (10 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼), Very Difficult to obtain (-½), (Real Cost: 6) plus Radar (No Sense Group, Targeting; Active), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360-Degrees) (25 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼), Very Difficult to obtain (-½) (Real Cost: 14) plus Ear Protection, Hearing Group Flash Defense (6 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼), Very Difficult to obtain (-½) (Real Cost: 3) plus Tinted Visor, Sight Group Flash Defense (6 Active Points); IIF Durable (-¼), Very Difficult to obtain (-½) (Real Cost: 3)

To account for the Very Difficult to obtain (-½) limitation:

M.H.I. FFW Body Armor is a high tech and unique piece of gear. Each Monster Hunter is personally responsible for their suit of M.H.I. FFW Body Armor. The armor will require maintenance and possibly repair after each operation. General maintenance (cleaning, lubing, minor patches, etc) will cost the Monster Hunter money, any other repair work will require a trained technician and will cost money and take time. If the armor is lost or destroyed it will cost character points, money and it will take a call into a contact or the use of a favor to replace.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers