Billy the Kid

Mystic Pilgrim

Here is my second attempt at a HERO System character build, and my first attempt at a HERO System 6th Edition Character.

[b]Henry McCarty - Billy the Kid, Henry Antrim, William H. Bonney [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
10    STR     0   10      11-       HTH Damage 2d6  END [2]
12    DEX     4   12      11-       
12    CON     2   12      11-
10    BODY    0   10      
11    INT     1   11      11-       PER Roll 11-
13    EGO     3   13      12-       
12    PRE     2   12      11-       PRE Attack: 2d6

2    PD      0   2             2 PD (0 rPD)
2    ED      0   2             2 ED (0 rED)
2    SPD     0   2                 Phases:  6, 12
4    REC     0   4
20    END     0   20
20    STUN    0   20
12    RUN      0   12m                END [1]
4    SWIM     0   4m                END [1]
4    LEAP     0   4m                4m forward, 2m upward

[b]CHA Cost: 61[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
10      +1 with All Attacks
10      +2 All Firearms
8      +4 Revolvers
1      AK: New Mexico 8-
7      Charm 13-
1      AK: Indiana 8-
1      AK: Kansas 8-
4      CK: Silver City, NM 13-
7      Fast Draw:  Handguns 13-
5      Gambling (Monte, Other Horse Races, Poker) 12-
0      Language:  English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
2      Language:  Spanish (fluent conversation)
4      Navigation (Land) 12-
5      PS: Cattle Rustling 14-
2      PS: Cowbow 11-
2      PS: Singing and Dancing 10-
9      Riding 14-
5      Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Forests) 12-
0      TF:  Equines
10      Two-Weapon Fighting ; Limited Power Only when using handguns (-0)
2      WF:  Handguns, Shotguns

[b]SKILLS Cost: 95[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
18      Danger Sense (self only, in combat, Function as a Sense) 12-
3      Resistance (+3 to roll)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 21[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]EQUIPMENT[/u][/b]
     [i][b]Colt .44 Revolver: [/i][/b]Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (+0 OCV, +0 Range Modifier, +3 PER Mod) (30 Active Points); 6 Shots (-2), STR Minimum 11 (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: (x2 number of items)]
     [i][b]Winchester 73’ rifle: [/i][/b]Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (+1 OCV, +2 Range Mod, +6 PER Mod, 1d6 STUNx) (40 Active Points); 3 Shots (-2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), STR Minimum 12 (-1/4)
     Colt .44 Ammo (1 Active Points) [Notes: (x25 number of items)]
     [i][b]Large Brim Sombrero Hat: [/i][/b] (1 Active Points)
     [i][b]Two-Gun Fast-Draw Holster: [/i][/b] (1 Active Points)
     [i][b]Chewing Tobacco: [/i][/b] (1 Active Points)
     [i][b]Winchester 73' Ammo: [/i][/b] (1 Active Points)

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Hunted:  Pat Garret Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
20     Psychological Complication:  Overconfidence (Very Common; Strong)
15     Psychological Complication:  Wrecklessness (Very Common; Moderate)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 50[/b]

Base Pts: 175
Exp Required: 2
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 177

Background/History: Billy the Kid's father died or left his mother when he was very young. The Kid may not have even known his father. Throughout his childhood he lived in Indiana, Kansas, and Colorado before his family settled in Silver City, New Mexico. When the Kid was about 13-14 years old his mother died in 1874. He and his younger Joseph brother got no paternal care by their step-father, who placed them in separate foster homes and left them. A year after his mother's death, the Kid got involved in petty theft and was arrested. He soon escaped and began his outlaw journey.

After a short career as a horse thief's apprentice in Arizona, the Kid left the territory when he was wanted for murder when he shot and killed a man named Windy Cahill, who was teasing and abusing the boy. The Kid returned to New Mexico and joined up with a gang of rustlers and gunfighters called The Boys, who were involved in the Lincoln County War fighting for the James Dolan side. The Kid ended up leaving the gang to join up with their opposition, John Tunstall. After the death of Tunstall, the violence erupted. The Kid and other Tunstall supporters formed the "Regulators" that consisted of deputized gunmen. The war ended at Tunstall's partner Alex McSween's home, and the Kid and a handful of Regulators barely escaped with their lives. The Regulators then disbanded; some left or went into hiding to start new lives, while others stuck around and became outlaws. The Kid was one of those that became outlaws. On the run from his enemies and the law, the Kid made a living by stealing horses and cattle, until his arrest in December of 1880. In April of 1881, after being convicted and sentence to death for taking part in the killing of Sheriff Brady during the Lincoln County War, the Kid broke out of jail by killing his two guards and escaped. The Kid was then hunted down by Pat Garrett and shot in the dark at the home of Pete Maxwell. Billy the Kid (about 19-20 years old) died July 14, 1881 in Fort Sumner, NM.

Personality/Motivation: Great sense of humor, good-natured and generous. Optimistic, determined, cunning and reckless. He was dependable and would risk his life for those he cared about. He did have some faults, he was stubborn and had a “they’ll-never-catch-me” attitude, which resulted in his carelessness in avoiding capture. He would push his luck to its limits and had a tendency to return to the scene of a crime. He’d trust the wrong people, and did not heed the advice of his friends. His greatest fault was not leaving the territory after his jailbreak when he had more than enough time to do so before Sheriff Garrett caught up with him. Due to his good qualities, many believed if Billy the Kid got a right start in life he never would've became an outlaw. Alex McSween's wife Susan once said in an interview years later after the Kid's death, "I had always believed if Mr. Tunstall had lived The Kid, under his guidance, would have become a valuable citizen, for he was a remarkable boy, far above the average of the young men of those times and he undoubtedly had the makings of a fine man in him."

Appearance: McCarty (or Bonney, the name he used at the height of his notoriety) was 5 feet 8 inches (173 cm) to 5 feet 9 inches (175 cm) tall with blue eyes, a smooth complexion and prominent front teeth. He was said to be friendly and personable at times, and many recalled that he was as "lithe as a cat". Contemporaries described him as a "neat" dresser who favored an "unadorned Mexican sombrero". These qualities, along with his cunning and celebrated skill with firearms, contributed to his paradoxical image, as both a notorious outlaw and beloved folk hero.

Re: Billy the Kid

10      +1 with All Attacks
10      +2 All Firearms
8      +4 Revolvers

I'd argue that "Revolvers" are 3 points per level, as the 2 pointer is usually for one specific item, such as a specific revolver. I'd also rename "Firearms" to "Small Arms."

I'll also point out you've only given him WF's with handguns and shotguns. Based on his equipment and his time period, that should be WF: Blades (knives), and Small Arms.

This:

10      Two-Weapon Fighting ; Limited Power Only when using handguns (-0

Should have "Ranged Attacks Only (-1)" as it allows one to fight with two HTH or ranged weapons as written.