Independent multi-targeting?

Rerednaw

If you recall the western Silverado, there's a scene where Jake (Kevin Costner's character) draws and fires both of his guns are two different targets simultaneously.

In Iron Man, Tony uses his armor to specifically target multiple terrorists who are using refugees as human shields and he takes them all down in one salvo.

Okay...how do you do that in Hero?

For that matter how do you multiple independent targeting?

In the past we've tried Area Affect Hexes and called it a special effect, with a kicker of increased area if needed and custom limitation (does not effect intervening squares, etc...) but it was kind of clunky.

In the case of a person is doing a gun kata (like the movies Equilibrium and Ultraviolet) where the main character is spraying a room one could call that a combination of auto-fire and area effect.

But what about single multi-target attacks?

I have not played heavily since 4th edition and I skimmed my trusty copy of FRED and didn't see anything on it either so I was wondering if this was addressed in 6th edition?

Re: Independent multi-targeting?

This is a how-to/build question more than a rules issue, so I've moved it to the Discussion forum.

Now for my brief answer: this is dealt with in 5E, but it's dealt with even better in 6E (in my humble opinion :) ). There are many ways to simulate what you want, but for now I'll simply refer you to the Multiple Attack Combat Maneuver in 6E2. And if you have Dark Champions for 5E, it has a lot of pre-built abilities to simulate this sort of stuff that you can easily rework for 6E.

It depends a bit on what you want to do. If you're firing a set number of shots, which could be at different targets or the same target, then Multiple Attack is all you need. If the character is particularly good at this, you could get CSLs, Only for Multiple Attack.

If you're looking for the "shoot every foe in a room, but not shooting one guy 50 times" effect, then you could do something like this:

Naked Advantage: Area of Effect (64m Radius, Selective; +1 1/2) for up to X points of firearms attacks. Possibly with a limitation like "Costs one charge per target".

Edit: Said "Accurate" when I meant "Selective"

My methods:

1. Autofire Skills. Accurate Sprayfire + Skipover Sprayfire + Concentrated Sprayfire = flat -1 OCV penalty to make at least one attack on a number of targets =/< the number of shots the Autofire attack is capable of. So 5-shots, 1 shot against each of 5 guys, or 2 shots at 2 guys and 1 shot at a third, etc.

2. AoE Selective - Pretty much what Ice 9 says. I have little experience with the "Accurate" modifier and, since I saw it mentioned as a way to do "magic missile" type attacks that can't farking miss, I avoid it and call it nasty names ;)

3. Sweep / Multi-attack. You can, with our without Autofire or Autofire Skills, sweep and/or multi-attack against multiple targets. It is generally suicide for you OCV though, without appropriate combat or penalty skill levels or something. This is a favored tactic of my current Weird War HERO character - a speedster with a Thompson SMG and mad PSL's - "OK, I'm shooting this guy 5 times, and that guy 5 times, and this other guy right here 5 times as well." (OK, so he usually only hits each guy once or twice, but still :D)