Fate Stay Night - Archer

Aradari

Re: Fate Stay Night - Archer

I was wondering what would be the best way to build this character.

Hmmm.....:think:....Well, here is a link to the characters from the novel/series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fate/stay_night_characters

and to a description of the novel/series itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate/stay_night

You want to build Archer, whose description can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_%28Fate/stay_night%29

So here is my VERY rough first pass at a partial build/build ideas:

It says "He is a Faker, an individual skilled at creating imitations of objects through the use of tracing and projection of mental images to form tangible objects...." So, one way to do that (but I am certain that it is not the only, or even the best method) would be (in 5th Ed, which is what I play and am familiar with) based on a high level of the power Mental Images liked with Telepathy to allow for "scanning the target to get the patterns".

The Reality Mable would be a Focus....And it would most likely use a VPP that could be linked to the above described power (the scanning/images). The VPP could be something like this build:

400 Mimic Powers: Variable Power Pool (Mimicry Pool), 200 base + 200 control cost, No Skill Roll Required (+1), Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1); Only To Mimic Previously Experienced Powers And Effects (-½)

which I found on the Surbrook's Stuff website ( http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/ ) in the build for DEMON GODDESS IFURITA from "El-Hazard" (the direct link to that character is here: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/eh/ifurita.html ). Of course, in the case of Archer it would have the limit of "Only To Mimic Items Scanned With Tracing Power" rather than the "Previously Experience Powers" limit.....

Anyway, that is just a quickie version of some of the character specs for Archer. As always, I'd suggest taking a look at Surbrook's Stuff (link above) for ideas to potentially modify...You might also find The Great Net Book Of Real Heroes (at http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/ ) a useful source of build ideas...And there is Matt's Champions Page (at http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/champions.html ) that is worth a look as well.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the Herosphere ! :thumbup:

-Carl-

[ATTACH]37675[/ATTACH]

5th Ed it is. I would have gotten this to you sooner, but all of my Servant creation prefabs are in 6th Ed. I think that it is best to section this into three parts: what all servants have*, Archer’s servant skills, and Archer’s personal abilities. I will be making this character based off of a mix of the anime, the anime movie, and the visual novel. I will also reference http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/TYPE-MOON_Wiki for specifics on some data. I will also try not to use spoilers if I can, such as his identity.

What All Servants Have:

Within the world, most magical beings use magic circuits to power their spells. Magic Circuits can be thought of as a second set of nerves, but they can be draoned of energy, so Endurance Reserve.

From what I can tell of these circuits, it would take anywhere from three days to a week to recover all of the End. This means that he should have a very high End value. For Now I’ll put in 400 and will assume that it takes three days to recover the End.

To make it easier, I will add the limitation Only Goes off Once An Hour (-1 ¾) to the recovery. I got the -1 ¾ from going down the time chart. To get the Rec value, I’ll do some quick math.

400/3 to get how much in three days

133.33/24 how many hours are in a day

So round it to 6

Magic Circuit: Endurance Reserve (400 END, 6 REC); REC: Only Goes off Once An Hour (-1 3/4)

Servants are not considered corporal, at least not always. They have a spirit state that allows for them to avoid damage and be unseen. In the anime, the servant Lancer phased through a wall, but is probably able to be damaged. This is not a personal power of Lancer from what I can see, so this is an ability of all servants, related to the spirit state.

From what I can tell in the anime, they never abort to go into this state to avoid damage. That will be a limitation. I will make this in two parts.

Spirit State I: Desolidification ; Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; Does Not Protect Against Damage; So long As Invisibility Is Not Active; -1/2), Can Not Be Aborted (-1/2)

Spirit State II: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe; Linked (Spirit State I; -1/2)

This should make it so long as the second is not on he can walk through walls, but if the second part is on, he can avoid damage as well.

Servants seem to be able to detect magic and other servants.

Detect Magic: Detect Magical Energy 11- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Telescopic: +5

Detect Servants: Detect Servant Aura 11- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Telescopic: +5

Servants also have an amazing leaping ability, they can jump as high up as they can across from what I could tell.

Inhuman Leap: Leaping +10" (12" forward, 12" upward), No Gravity Penalty (+1/2)

It was shown that both Saber and Rider could run up walls. A trait that all of the servants I’m guessing can do.

Light On Feet: Flight 6", No Gravity Penalty (+1/2); Must Make A Half Move (-1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4)

When Servants get hit, they don’t seem to take too much knockback, unless it is a lot of Knockback.

Once I Move, I'm Gone: Knockback Resistance -5"; All Or Nothing (-1)

That covers what all servants have.*

Archer's Servant Skills

Servants have abilities that, in the visual novel, are labeled as Servant Skills. All servants have servant skills. We can split these into two categories, class specific skills, and personal skills. They are graded from a letter value. Archer is, well, part of the Archer Class. They have Magic Resistance and Independent Action.

Now, in 6th Ed, I would use Damage Negation to build Magic Resistance. Instead I will make it as Force Field.

In Fate Magic Resistance seems to negate everything or nothing. Archer’s rank is D, A being the best, E the worst. I’m going to say that every 5 points is a rank, you may change it as you please. I also will only build it as ED, you may add PD if you want.

Magic Resistance: D: FF (10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); All Or Nothing (Body Damage; -1), Only Works Against Magic (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

Magic Resistance: D: Power Defense (10 points)

For the second part, I did not make that all or nothing because this seems to apply only to damage.

Independent Action is the ability to act independent of their master. What I mean by this is that they can continue to exist without being bound to a person and are able to live longer when their “core” is damaged. This is more something to put in Disadvantages, I’ll get to that part later. However I will add this:

Independent Action: B: +12 BODY; Only to Avoid Death (-1/2)

Now for Archer’s personal Servant Skills: Eye of the Mind (True), Clairvoyance, and Magecraft.

Eye of the Mind (True) is the ability to deturman the best route to go about dealing with an issue. You may with to buy this as luck, I say buy it as Combat Skill Levels.

Eye of the Mind (True): B: +4 with All Combat

Clairvoyance allows Archer to see great distances.

Clairvoyance C: +10 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; Costs Endurance (-1/2)

With Magecraft, that allows him to cast magic, it is Ranked C-. Given his identity, from what I can tell his magic is very limited, but to what extent he has is still rather unknown as he rarely used magic, outside of his tracing and Noble Pahtasm, in the anime. I’ll cover tracing in the next part.

His personal abilities, powers, and Phantasms

It says "He is a Faker' date=' an individual skilled at creating imitations of objects through the use of tracing and projection of mental images to form tangible objects...." So, one way to do that (but I am certain that it is not the only, or even the best method) would be (in 5th Ed, which is what I play and am familiar with) based on a high level of the power Mental Images liked with Telepathy to allow for "scanning the target to get the patterns". [/quote']

This would work, if they were talking about pushing their images onto opponents. What happens is that these weapons are actually made into reality. This would be better to make it as a VPP., I would not say that it is a Focus either, as he can always just make more if they are broken or disarmed. He demonstrates this when fighting Lancer. However it could have a Limitation Can Only Make Weapons That He Has Seen (-1/2). Archer can seem to copy object by just seeing them, scan them by just seeing them. I’m not sure if Telepathic would be necessary, but I will add it either way as it is a more critical way to build it.

Item Creation: Variable Power Pool (Item Mimicry Pool), 300 base + 150 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1); all slots Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Reduced END 0, If In Reality Marble; +3/4); Only To Mimic Items Scanned With Tracing Power (-1/2), Incantations ("Trace On"; -1/4)

From here I would suggest adding a list of weapons that he commonly uses. Keep in mind that his ability to make any weapon he sees is part of his Noble Phantasm, his Reality Marble. Fully activating his Reality Marble allows for all of those weapons to be available to be used at once. Now for that List

Kanshou & Bakuya are the two main weapons of Archer. When fighting Caster, Archer demonstrates that he can throw these swords and boomerang it back to himself. I would not say that they are based on strength as he can throw them really far. Because Servants have weapons above most I made these 2D6 at base. I made it reduce End 0 because these weapons he tends to keep out and he generates a lot of them.

Kanshou & Bakuya : HKA 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Idirect: Same origin, always fired away from attacker, Only When Thrown; +1/2); Required Hands One-Handed (-0), x2 number of items

Calabolg II is a weapon that he always turns into an arrow and uses it’s destructive power to deal with opponents.

Calabolg II, The Fake Spiraled Sword: RKA 5d6, Explosion (+1/2); Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2)

Rho Aias is a barrier to ranged weapons that is in the shape of a flower. This is based off of Greater Ajax of the Illiad. In 6th I would make it as a barrier as it should have body, but in this I will build it as a Force Wall. Archer States that his ability is better with making swords, and that defensive objects cost five times as much energy, but it implies that the amount of energy to make one sword to the next is the same despite its power, so I doubt that increase End x5 would be the best way to do it; x2 or x3 I think would probably suffice.

Rho Aias, The Seven Rings that Cover the Fiery Heavens: FW (25 PD/25 ED; 4" long and 4" tall); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Holding Hand Out; -1/2), Incantations ("I Am The Bone Of My Sword"; -1/4)

Hrunting, a sword of Beowulf, was used in the extension story of Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Hollow Alexandra, and perhaps in the Unlimited Blade Works Movie. A “sword that never misses”. Like the Calabolg II he only uses it as an arrow. In 6th Edition I would by the “never misses” as CSL, OCV Only and CSL levels can be negated by Power Defense; allowing for CSL – Power Defense to just how much of a bonus you get against an opponent. I would still build it this way in 5th, but Hero Designer does not allow for it.

Hrunting, The Hound of the Red Plains: RKA 4d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2) plus +10 OCV with Hrunting, Power Defense Negates CSLs (-1/2)

The Reality Marble itself forces Archer’s own world to exist; this world where only swords and floating clockwork exist. This would be a change environment. It makes a reality that is covered with swords, swords that only he can use. You may also want to build it as Extra-Dimensional Movement.

I hope that this was helpful!

If you want I can help you with his stats and stuff too!

*: Within the Fate universe and the other animes, Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai, within the same universe, the Nasuverse, when ever they make a rule about anything, someone in the setting can break it. When it comes to what abilities all servants have, Saber is the one that breaks the rules, as she is missing most of the abilities all servants have.

I also forgot about his disadvantages, well the servant ones, as opposed to his personal disadvantages.

He should probably have:

Physical Limitation: Dies if END Reserve is 0 (Infrequently; Fully Impairing)

Independent Action: B Susceptibility: No Master-Servant Contract 1d6 damage per Day (Uncommon)

Most Servants Can Not last even that long. For Other Servants I would move down the time chart to a turn, phase, or segment.