Advanced Vehicle Damage

CorpCommander

I was thinking about taking the basic system that is in FREd )p. 233) and expanding it. Basically I want the possibilities of more internal damage on the vehicle. The vehicle in my campaign will be a big part of the action. It will be critcal to the game and to the player's reason for existing.

Has anyone done something like this? Here is my proposal For changing things.

First idea: When the vehicle takes damage roll 2D6. Create a table with items and systems on board the vehicle. Put the most likely things to be hit under 7 and then alternate around that point. This gives a sort of curve to it. Fits in with the other aspects of the game system

2nd Idea: Start with a D6 roll. Make a list of things on the vehicle. Put things that would be protected more further up the list. For each body of damage over the first add one to the die roll. This is great because you can say the crew compartment is more protected than the computer which is more protected than life support which is more protected than the engine...

It would give a good feel I think. The players become aware that the damage becomes progressive and it makes them much more apprehensive about putting the vehicle into danger. Another thing that could help the vehicle stay in fights longer is that A body result doens't necesarily mean a point of body is lost. A roll on the table will indicate either a system, a point of body or a combination.

I will give it a try and post the results here.

Pete