SPD, over SPD, vs Alteration Powers

Thia Halmades

Question

Hey Steve;

Okay -- so the caster has purchased SPD, Only For Casting Spells (-1). Per the APG, p.16 (IIRC) this is a second "layer" of SPD. I hit him with a Drain SPD.

What, exactly, happens, and in what order? He does not have a 4 SPD -- he has a 3 & 1 SPD. I'm assuming that because they are both SPD, they both get drained equally.

TAA;

~DEM/TH

1 answer to this question

Re: SPD, over SPD, vs Alteration Powers

If a character has Limited SPD (APG 13) or “secondary SPD” (APG 15) and is affected with an Adjustment Power that applies to SPD, typically his “base” (i.e., non-Limited/primary) SPD is what’s affected. Once that SPD has been Drained to 0, Aided to its maximum value, or the like, any such Adjusment Powers would then apply to the Limited/secondary SPD. If the attacker is aware that the target has Limited/secondary SPD, he can choose to target that specifically instead of the “base” SPD. And of course, the GM can alter these rules based on common sense, dramatic sense, and the nature of his setting. For example, in a Fantasy world where it’s common for spellcasters to buy extra SPD Only For Casting Spells (perhaps through some sort of spell), it’s certainly possible that a spell designed to remove/weaken that ability would exist.