Character and Gameworld Concept

fbdaury

Thinking about an old Batman comic I read where Poison Ivy uses a plant based drug in her lipstick to convince various rich men to sign their fortunes over to her got me thinking: In a world where Mental Powers are a known variable, what sorts of special consulting services and Counter Psionic-Espionage (CPE) tactics would be in place for corporate and military/political personnel?

This got me to thinking about the possibility of specially trained (and possibly specifically empowered/engineered) agents whose sole goal to is guard the minds of their 'clients' as opposed to (or in addition to) standard bodyguards.

This led me to create the following Character- my first 6th edition character, in fact. Let me know if the numbers are all right and what you think. Thanks.

Codename: Mindguard

Str 15 (5) Damage: 3d6 Lift: 200kg Roll: 12- End: 1

Dex 15 (10) Roll: 12-

Con 20 (10) Roll: 13-

Int 23 (13) Roll: 14- Perception Roll: 16-

Ego 25 (15) Roll: 14-

Pre 20 (10) Pre Attack: 4d6 Roll: 13-

OCV 6 (15)

DCV 6 (15)

OMCV 5 (6)

DMCV 10 (21)

Spd 4 (20) Phases: 3,6,9,12

PD 6 (4) 7rPD/13 PD

ED 6 (4) 7rED/13 ED

Rec 8 (4)

End 40 (4)

Body 15 (5)

Stun 40 (10) Total: 171pts.

Cost: Powers: 25 Advanced Mental Awarenes- Detect Psionic Powers, Sense, Discriminatory,360 arc of perception, Targeting

40 Psionic Shielding- 20 Mental Defense, Resistant (+1/2), UOO (Himself and 1 other at same time, he controls totally, no range to grant, must remain within 10m to

maintain power, +1/2)

37 Sensing Danger- Danger Sense (no 1/2 phase), all dangers, immediate vicinity

6 Trained Observer- +2 to all perception rolls (16-)

Standard Gear:

9 Glock 20 pistol (Page 72 Equipment Guide)

10 Tailored Type II Soft Armor Full Suit (IIF instead of OIF but otherwise same as on

Page 242 of Equipment Guide)

Cost: Skills/Talents/Perks:

3 Acting 13-

3 Breakfall 12-

6 +3 OCV with Glock 20 (OCV 9)

8 +4 OCV with Block (OCV10)

3 Concelament 14-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Deduction 14-

5 Defense Maneuver II

3 Disguise 14-

5 Fast Draw (Small Arms) 13-

3 Gambling (Card Games, Chess) 14-

3 High Society 13-

3 KS: Psionic Powers 14-

3 KS: Psionics' World 14-

3 KS: Mercenary/Military/Terrorist World 14-

6 Languages (English is Native)

Arabic (Completely Fluent with Accent)

French (Completely Fluent with Accent)

3 Paramedics 14-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 PS: Personal Psionic Protection Agent 14-

3 PS: Play Piano 14-

2 PS: Waiter 10-

5 Shadowing 15-

3 Sleight of Hand 12-

5 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Favors- Currently has 3 favors owed in various fields (previous clients)

2 Concealed Carry Permit

1 Fringe Benefit: Passport

3 Wealth: Well Off ($300k per year)

Value: Matching Complications:

10 Dependent NPC: Current Client (normal, useful Noncom position or skills) Frequently

10 Distinctive Feature: Psion (Not Concealable, Always Noticed- only with Unusual senses or specialized medical tests)

20 Protects Client (Common/Total- although he is hired to mentally defend his clients,

if everything goes pear-shaped, he's been required to act as a standard bodyguard to

safeguard his client)

15 Reluctance to Kill (Common/Strong)

10 Rivalry: Other Personal Protection Agents (Professional, Inferior due to number of other PPAs out there)

10 Vulnerbility: Takes x2 Stun from Sonic Attacks (uncommon) due to the disruption of

his delicate neural pathways

**Sorry about the screwy format- couldn't get the formatting to work properly. :ugly:

Re: Character and Gameworld Concept

Interesting concept. Skills and powers look good; whether the stats are at the right levels depends on the campaign, but nothing looks out of whack.

The Protects Client complication being at a Total level is a bit odd - no matter what the client does, he's psychologically incapable of not protecting them? I could see Strong though.

Well, good point- I was basing the complication on a combination of professionalism, pride, and more than a little bit his need to prove himself better than other Protection agents but then I guess that could still leave some room for him to walk away from a really fubar'd situation, I just can't picture the character dong that in most cases though. Thanks for the critique.

OTOH, I think a Total Psychological Complication would be quite appropriate for the 'engineered agent' concept. It would represent psychological (or possibly psionic) conditioning to force the agent to protect the client. Probably more appropriate for NPCs who work for a morally-gray corportation that provides CPE services to anyone who can pony up the fee. "Now that's what I call a commitment to customer service!"