Variable Hearing

PerennialRook

I was making/altering a race when I came to something that I don't know how to do. Ears.

I don't know how many people have ever tried to sneek up on a deer, I have. As you are aproaching if they smell or hear something out of the ordinary (you) they become alert and their ears stick up. I would assume this helps them hear better.

Then if they are alert and you make a noise they point their ears towards you. I assume this helps them hear in that particular direction better.

Jumping to another animal, the wolf, it seems like any time a wolf is attacking or otherwise engaged in a fight it's ears lay back on it's head. This, I assume, is to keep them protected.

This gives me four modes of hearing: Normal, Alert, Directional, and Defensive.

How would I portray this type of ear using the hero system? Would I build it as a multipower?

Thank you for your help.

-Preston

ears down protects the ears, which is important in a dog or catfight when they attack each other's ears. Ears are not a hit location in HERO it doesn't really apply.

But you could simulate this by having the other abilities include "side effects always occurs" and then a vulnerability in the head location or some such. It would be a very rare hit in normal combat, so make it a -1/4 lim.

difference between alert and directional is a multipower with one slot being 360 degrees for hearing and the other being bonuses to hearing. Problem is that hearing is already 360 degrees. So buy multipower with bonus to hearing, and bonus to hearing limited to one arc (I would say a -1/2 lim).

There is no "normal". They just default to bonus hearing facing forward.