Super Skills as "Stunts"

The Main Man

This is an idea inspired by a proposed Fantasy HERO magic system, Spirit of the Century, and a little bit by Mutants & Masterminds.

Basically, what if Super Skills that require Skill Rolls could be performed as functions of appropriate, corresponding Skills at the appropriate penalties?

The obvious problem is that it would undercut those that it removes most incentive to actually buy Super Skills. I think that I have some solutions to that natural result.

1) Each attempt at a Super Skill "Stunt" costs 1 Herioc Action Point (or more perhaps).

2) As the Super Skills become functions of particular Skills, they are made at the appropriate penalty based on their Active Points.

3)The GM should prepare a list of all Super Skills that fall under this house rule. Furthermore, every listed Super Skill "Stunt" should be predefined and players may not change its build as defined.

4) I'm not 100% sure about it, but perhaps players may purchase (and thus modify) any predefined "Stunt" at 1/3 cost; somewhat like Spells in the Turakian Age.

Thoughts?

Re: Super Skills as "Stunts"

One way to work it in is:

Anyone can perform a Skill Based Super-Skill at a -1 per 5AP; Purchasing the Super-Skill outright means a SR at the normal -1 per 10AP;

If you're playing with HAPs, you can spend one to make the SR as if you purchased the Super-Skill (-1 per 10AP).

That way you keep the point cost as listed, no need for divisors like in TA. And you allow anyone on the board to try and perform a stunt.

One way to work it in is:

Anyone can perform a Skill Based Super-Skill at a -1 per 5AP; Purchasing the Super-Skill outright means a SR at the normal -1 per 10AP;

If you're playing with HAPs, you can spend one to make the SR as if you purchased the Super-Skill (-1 per 10AP).

That way you keep the point cost as listed, no need for divisors like in TA. And you allow anyone on the board to try and perform a stunt.

I think that could work as long as the Super Skill is otherwise the same. But on the other hand, what about a player purchasing a certain SR-based Super Skill in order to more fine-tune it? Like more/less dice, or increase/decrease Modifier values.

To add to your idea though, perhaps a third HAP could be spent to reduce SR penalties to -1 per 20 AP?

I think I'll research the various SR-based Super Skills and look at costs versus HAP use. After all, there are plenty of Super Skills that do not involve SRs, so naturally they could not be attempted as Stunts in the first place.

I also plan to incorporate Pulp Hero's Heroic Action Feats as well as Digital HERO's "Fistful of Talents" and "For A Few Talents More" into the mix.

Well, if they're spending points I don't see why they shouldn't be allowwd to fine tune it to their personal taste, and GM approval.

Also, you could alter all the campaigns Super-Skills to all require Skill Rolls, with an option to buy it off later.

You just gave me two ideas: First, degrees of success can determine degree of power for the Super Skill stunts. Second, either PSLs or limited Skill Levels can be purchased for said Super Skill stunts. It creates something to purchase to go towards improvement without undermining a straight purchase too much.

That said, a Skill Maximum may be in order. Also, upon checking up on the selection, there are plenty of Super Skills that don't involve SRs, so I think there's a safe divide that allows some to be free stunts while others must be purchased.