Future Sub Dimensions

Vondy

For the more engineering inclined....

I'm working up a futuristic submarine based on this piece of concept art. I know its not a lot to work from, but using the dolphins as a reference, can anyone provide some numbers? Length, Height, Beam, Draft? Estimated tonnage?

Edit: I found the artists site and he says its 144ft/44meters. Can anyone extrapolate the other dimensions/tonnage?

submarine-5_ZesNj_48.jpg

submarine-2_nt8wu_48.jpg

Re: Future Sub Dimensions

Fiddling around with a tape measure, the bottom pic measures 11cm long x 2 cm wide x 3 cm deep. Ish. That 11 cm long is a lucky break as it makes it easy to scale, just multiply everything by 4 and drop the 'c' from cm (44 m, yes?).

44 m x 8 m x 12 m = 4224 cu.m. I think I'd multiply that by about 85% (just eyeballing the shape, I am not an Engineer or a Naval Architect) for a "real" volume of 3,590.4 cu.m. Given how little of a submarine is above water when it’s on the surface and that this model doesn’t have a sail/conning tower I’d just put draft = 12 M, possibly dropping one to one and a half meters if you’re trying to make the numbers look more realistic.

According to our friend Wikipedia* “A ship's displacement is its mass at any given time, generally expressed in metric tons or long tons.” Since submarines can adjust their mass by flooding or blowing ballast tanks, just figure the tonnage of a similar volume of water and assume that the ship can vary that +/- 10% (or whatever feels right, again, Not An Engineer) to dive or surface.

Multiplying the assumed volume by the density of seawater (1.025 g/ml) and fiddling around getting all the measurements in the same scale, I end up with 368 Metric Tons.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/nr-1-specs.htm gives the displacement of the 44 meter long research submarine NR 1 as 366 long tons, so “close enough.”.

I hope you find this helpful.

* Please don’t hurt me!