Sol Thraxis (and Circe')

Pizza Man

OK, I've tossed a few characters out, this would be my first submission to a GM. I'm trying to be as generic as I can with the magic system but this fits most of them out there with a few tweaks. Circe' has been reprinted here as she is his Familiar, and she's been tweaked a bit too.

I have yet to receive my Grimoire, and I've not really seen actual player mages. So this may yet change. But I would submit this one for an actual game.

So critique away.

Sol Thraxis

Characteristics:

STR 10

DEX 13

CON 14

INT 18

EGO 10

PRE 13

OCV 5

DCV 5

OMCV 3

DMCV 3

SPD 3

PD 2/12 (10R)

ED 2/12 (10R)

REC 10

END 30

BODY 10

STUN 26

Total Cost: 62

Powers:

9 Armor Spell: 10 PD/10 ED/10 Power Def 45 active points 4 END

Extra Time (1 Turn, post segment 12; -1 ¼), OAF Staff (-1), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Costs END (only to activate; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

15 Fireball RKA 2D6 Area of effect 16M (+3/4) 52 active points 5 END

OAF Staff (-1), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Costs END (only to activate; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

14 Binding Chains Entangle 3D6, 3PD/3ED, Takes NO damage from attacks (+1/2)……………………45 Active Points 4 END

OAF Staff (-1), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Costs END (only to activate; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Vulnerable: Entangle takes 2X damage from ice Cold attacks (-1/4)

8 Sleep Spell. Blast 6D6 vs ED. 30 active points 3 END

OAF Staff (-1), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Does No Body (-1/2), Does No Knockback (-1/4)

Total Cost:46

Skills, Perks n’ Stuff:

35 Follower, Circe: Homunculus Familiar (See following text)

11 Magic Skill (Power based off of INT) 17-

2 KS: Alchemy/Potions 11-

2 KS History 11-

2 Arcane Magic and Lore 11-

3 Inventor Spell Research/Item Creation 13-

1 Literacy

2 Language: Elvish, Basic Conversation/Literacy

2 Language: Draconian, Basic Conversation/Literacy

3 Climbing 12-

3 Stealth 12-

1 WF: Clubs, Staffs

Total Cost:67

Total character cost:175

Complications 50:

15 Hunted by HouseT’Chalion (noble family) Infrequent, Mo Pow, Harshly Punish as in kill and mount Sol’s head in the parlor

10 Distinctive Features Not concealable, Uncommon Senses He glows like a neon light under Detect Magic

15 Overconfident. Common/Strong

10 Vengeful, Uncommon/Strong

Background/History I've had 2nd thoughts about this back-story and plan to repost it in a few days. It wasn't feeling right.

Circe’

Characteristics:

3 STR

16 DEX

8 CON

10 INT

8 EGO

20 PRE

5 OCV

8 DCV

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

3 SPD

2 PD

2 ED

4 REC

20 END

10 BODY

20 STUN

Run 4M

Swim 4M

Jump 4M

Fly at 25M (see below)

Total Cost: 48

Powers:

12 Flight 25M. Reduced END (0 END +1/2) Creates a pair of Flesh colored bat wings

Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4). OAF wand (-1) Usable by others(+1/4), Circe and Master only, Only if recipient remains close to grantor (+0) within 4 meters, Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra time (Full Phase -1/4), Restrainable (wings, -1/2)……44 active points

8 Detect Magic. A large class of things. 16- (unusual group) Discriminatory and Analyze. Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4). OAF wand (-1), Extra time (Full Phase -1/2)……..25 active points

17 Desolidification Reduced END( 0 End +1/2), Usable on others, Master Only (+1/4)

Cannot pass through Solid Objects (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF wand (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase -3/4)……70 Active points

15 Life Support Longevity: 400 years, Immunity to all terrestrial Diseases and all terrestrial Poisons (10 points), Usable by other :Master Only (+1/4)

6 Telekinesis 3 STR, Affects Physical world +2,

Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4). OAF wand (-1), Concentration (-1/2)

18 Active points, 2 END

5 Mind Link to Master, One specific Mind

33 Regeneration/Can only be killed by killing Master, shared Life force/

1 Body per Hour, Heal limbs, Resurrection

---------When little Circe’ dies, she disappears in a bloody mist and reforms either in her master’s pocket, or next to him in about 6 hours.---

Total Powers Cost: 96

Skills, Perks n’ Stuff:

6 Striking Appearance +2/+2D6

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Charm 13- (15-)

3 Stealth 12-

3 KS: Arcane/Magical Lore for use with Detect Magic Spell

3 Concealment 11-

8 PS: Performance/Sing, Dance 17- (19-) Fascinate Bards

1 Literate in common

1 Language: Draconian Basic Conversation

Total Cost: 31

Total character cost: 175

Complications 50:

15 Physical Complication: Tiny. Frequently, Slightly Impairing

25: Subject to Orders. Must obey creator. Very Common, Total

10: Will not willingly go more than a mile from her master. Panics if forced beyond that distance.

Background/History

It was the summer session at the university and Sol was looking to create something of value. He succeeded beyond anyone’s expectations. He was just a first year student, He mastered the cantrips, learned the spells, and empowered his first staff. He wanted to make a homunculus, but he wanted a work of art-the standard formula just wouldn’t work.

Haunting the local book shops, Sol stumbled across a great find…in an old glass case there was a stuffed pixie. It was more than a hundred years old, and completely illegal. Sol bought it for a single gold piece.

He visited a wig shop and purchased golden elven hair. Sol commissioned a doll maker for the finest softest clothing he could afford. The rest of the ingredients were at the school: his alchemy class equipment, a thousand ants crushed and powdered, enchanted clay, and of course 2 pints of his own blood…

For three days and nights he poured his heart and soul into his creation. The masters were amazed. Sol had produced a masterpiece. He called her Circe’ after a mythical mage of yore. She was beautiful, with long golden hair, and graceful limbs.

But she was empty, and lifeless. Little Circe’ was animate, and would do whatever Sol told her to, but she would not speak, or smile, or show any sort of emotion. Sol felt he was not finished, that he had left something out.

It was a wise old master who saw though his student’s disappointment.

“You have given your creation form and beauty, but to give it life you must bind it to you as a familiar, in soul as well as blood.”

Sol began to research anew. In an old tome, he found his answer. Locking himself in a room with Circe’, he began the ritual of binding. When the candle burned low, and then incense burned out, he broke a gemstone and released a swirling storm of embers. It was too much for Sol, the room spun with the whirling embers, and he blacked out.

Morning. Sol opened his eyes with a groan. He had a headache. Circe’ stood before his face, staring at him as impassionate as ever. Then her eye twinkled, she smiled and said, “Good morning, Master.”

Personality/Motivation

Homunculi are supposed to exhibit their master’s personality and quirks. Circ’e breaks the rules. Her master is serious, she is bubbly and happy. She loves to laugh, sing and dance (and in general fascinates bards). Circe’ and Sol are best friends just as master and familiars are supposed to be. She eats and sleeps, just like Sol does. She definitely has a sweet tooth. And kittens. Circe’ LOVES kittens.

She has learned a few spells with her master at the university, and carries a focus at all times: A miniature wand that Sol empowered for her. But she really loved learning to speak Draconic with her master. So few take that course that she feels its like a secret language just for the two of them.

Sol is not quite sure where the singing and dancing comes from. He speculates that some remnant of Pixie’s personality may have remained in the skin. All in all, Sol is quite happy with his new friend.

Quote: CANDY! Oh Master! We must get some! You know, for your journey. I’m just thinking of you, Master.

Powers/Tactics

Circe is not meant for combat. She will go desolid and hide in Sol’s pocket or under his hat. She even has a sliding window in Sol’s hat so she can peep out.

She has a number of useful qualities that she can pass onto her Master. Her life support extends to him as well. Her fly and desolid spells can also be cast upon Sol.

And her Detect Magic was taught to her by the head master himself, to aid a promising young student who had succeeded so well. It is discriminatory and can analyze magic.

She prefers to cast her fly spell and just leave it on all day. Moving at 4M just won’t cut it for her.

Campaign Use

At 35 points, you can use her yourself if you want. She is designed to be useful for a mage

Appearance

Circe’ looks just like “I Dream of Jeanie.” She is 12 inches tall. She will probably be smiling at something when you first meet her.

Re: Sol Thraxis (and Circe')

Well, lets try this again. I had broken of of my cardinal rules: No Conan origins!

The original story presented Sol as an escaped slave...But this is far more the university student we see in Circe's background.

Sol Thraxis II

Background/History

Sol Thraxis was born in a rural town, miles away from any place important. He stood out as a child by excelling in his letters. When the other children would run out and play, young Sol would curl up with a book discovering that whole worlds lay beyond the village and the fields.

As a teen, Sol would seek out the elves who came to trade, learning their language. In the summer he would disappear for days on end, causing the villagers to whisper that he was conversing with fey things in the wood. He was.

The real revelation came when bandits stormed into town. Sol stood up before them and with a word and a gesture, a bandit fell soundlessly to the ground. Arrows bounced harmlessly off Sol, and with a gesture another bandit collapsed.

Elves arrived and drove the bandits away. They were amazed to learn Sol could perform magic, and he did so speaking elvish. Just by observing an elf wizard, Sol had learned to cast the spells “Armor” and “Sleep.”

“A boy this talented needs to attend the University.” The elven captain said. The villagers agreed, and they sent young Sol to the city and the University Arcane.

Personality/Motivation

Sol is a studious sort, quiet and reserved. He keeps his opinions to himself, but does not tolerate a fool easily. He prefers common sense, words of wisdom, and the company of Halflings. Big cities may be intimidating but they are full of bookstores and present a myriad of distractions.

Quote: “No. I do not have a sister named, Anne.”

Powers/Tactics

Sol will use his entangle and sleep spells to herd his enemies into a close area where he can use his Fireball.

Campaign/Use

Sol’s spells can be tweaked to fit any sort of magic system.

Appearance:

Sol dislikes the robes so many mages seem to go for. The practicality of good pants/sturdy boots means there is less to get snagged in the field.

His hat is a Clint Eastwood wide, flat brim style. He cuts a rather dashing figure, but is somewhat shy around the ladies.

I like this one. Even though he has a mouse for a familiar...

Still, if you all haven't been to Deviant Art yet...GO. Open an account and start browsing...anything you like you can put in your favorites gallery. For a good idea, visit my profile (link in my sig, visit my favorites and start surfing from there.

GMs can find so much inspiration...check it out. Its free.

Brand The Wizard

brandthewizardbybutterf.jpg

Looks great. I would recommend asking your GM about using a Multipower or VPP for the Magic. I find VPP's with good limits (and a watchful eye on my players) allow for a lot more versatility.

Here is how I built a VPP for an Elemental Sorcerer in my current campaign:

Elemental Magic: Variable Power Pool, 41 base + 36 control cost, (59 Active Points); Elemental Powers Only (Fire, Air, Water, Earth) (-1/2); all slots Requires A Roll (Skill roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Magic (Detectable as Magic, Defenses vs. Magic affect all, etc.) (-1/2)

The Variable Limitations on this are chosen from: Incantations, Gestures, Extra Time, Increased Endurance Cost, Focus, Charges, or Side Effects; and must be chosen at the time the slot is created. This particular VPP allows powers to be changed as a full phase action, and has "slightly limited powers available" which is expressed as the Elemental Powers Only as a VPP Only Modifier.

The nice thing about using a VPP, if you ask me, is that with a VPP you have a within-the-rules limit to the number of powers active; no need to do "INT / 5" number of powers or the x3 cost etc.