What blocks Mental Awareness

whitekeys

Question

On page 210, 6E1, it states that players must define what blocks their Detects, in similar fashion to things that block Sight. Firstly, does this mean that if something blocks your Detect you must define it or that every Detect must be blocked by something, as defined by the player?

Assuming the latter: a lot of the other senses in the game are built with the Detect Sense, such as Mental Awareness, Active Sonar, etc. In the case of Mental Awareness, since it is a Detect, what blocks that sense?

In my Star Wars campaign, Jedi have the following Power:

Sensing the Force: Detect (The Force, +3 to Roll), Passive, Range, Sense, Increased Arc of Perception (360 degrees)(25 Active Points); Requires a Force Roll (-1/2), Concentration (Half DCV, -1/4), Vague and Unclear (-1/2)(11 Real Points)

What would be your suggestion on what might block this sense, if anything at all? (I thought of using items that block lightsabers, like Cortosis and Phrikk metal, and simply extending them to effect sensing the Force as well).

1 answer to this question

Re: What blocks Mental Awareness

Defining what blocks a Detect is a matter of common sense, dramatic sense, and game balance. It’s not mandatory to the same extent as, say, defining the ratio of an Adjustment Power that affects multiple Characteristics or the dimensions of a Barrier. But common sense and dramatic sense tell us that no sense, real or fictional, can “see” through every type of object or interference.

What Mental Awareness cannot perceive through is up to the GM, since mental/psionic powers may work in very different ways in different campaigns. The same goes for abilities like your Force Sense (I’m not sufficiently knowledgeable about the Star Wars Universe to comment on what might be appropriate here — I’d suggest posting on the Discussion board to see what other fans who know that IP have to say).