Extremely Basic Packages Question

Sociotard

I just want to ensure that I get this right. Lets say I play in a Standard Heroic game (75 base, 75 disadvantage). Now I make my character a Wood Elf, as described on page 17 on FREd. I now have 61 base points to spend, and 65 more from disadvantages possible. Is that about right? I've honestly never done "Racial Packages" before.

yes, according to the rules

package disads count against character disads.

This works well if the packages are a way of making quick or cookie cutter characters. So dwarven fighter raised in the dwarven culture would be like all the others of his type. Killraven has a great collection of packages of this type.

It is common, and something I do, to have the disads for races not count against the character total. I only recommend this if the disads balance the points spent, and the disads are physical limitations, susceptibilities, vulnerabilities, etc.

If you have a wood elf with +5 DEX and the disad "Love of the woods" and declare it to be 0 points, then you are just basically giving away +5 DEX for free.

If you have a wood elf with +5 DEX and a dependence on being within 1 mile of their tree is more balanced.