Drain Spells

roma912

Hi I am a newbie here and am currently running a combined 1st/4th Edition for Fantasy Hero.

I have a player who has designed a variable effect drain spell and is looking to have a varied effect as drain SPD. The base points of the effect are 45 and he is arguing that this would give 0.1 to 0.3 drain on SPD. This would be enough to drop the SPD value below the whole, therefore as per the character rules the SPD would be lowered. Eg character with DEX 11 has a base SPD 2.1, but would only be SPD if 9 character points were spent.

Would anybody else rule against this or would for. I am against this as I feel it is taking the power too far.

Just curious for your thoughts.

Cheers

Ross

Re: Drain Spells

Don't know about earlier versions but in 5ER Adjustment powers ignore fractions of Speed. This means that the only effect of reducing someone's Speed by a fraction will be to make it easier to actually reduce the Characteristic with future attacks. You have to Drain a full 'level' of Speed, (10 Character Points), before a character's effective Speed Characteristic is actually reduced.

For example. A character with Dex 16 will have a Speed of 2.6, for the purposes of Adjustment powers this is reduced to Speed 2. However, an Adjustment power must decrease that character's Speed by a full 10 Character Points before it can actually decrease their Speed Characteristic to 1.

So, if you Drained that character's Speed by 5 points they would have a Speed of 1.5, leaving their effective Speed Characteristic at 2. If you subsequently Drained that character's Speed by a further 5 points they would have a Speed of 1.0, (assuming that they had not recovered any of the lost Character Points in the meantime), and then their actual Speed Characteristic would be reduced to 1.

Re: Drain Spells

I think it has always been the rule that to drain a pt of SPD, you have to drain the whole thing - all 10 pts worth.

Unless I'm mistaken, to Aid it is the same way. Someone with DEX 18 and SPD 2 needs 10 pts of Aid to reach SPD 3. Though why anyone would be DEX 18 and SPD 2 is another mystery.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary