Calculating dmage classes for an advantaged power

Spideydave

Question

Hello Steve,

I was running my Dark Champions game and we came accross something I need to clarify.

One of my players has a 10d6 hth attack(from strength and martial arts) He then bought a naked advantage for up to 50 active cost specifically a 2m radius AoE for (+1/4) advantage to simulate the ability to beat up many guys at once.

Now I put a Damage class cap of 11DC on my campaign.

As I was reading chapter Four "Damage and its effects" I came accross the damage class table.

According to my understanding a 10d6 normal attack with a +1/4 advantage is the equivalent to adding +8d6 to the attack.

Added together he has an effective 18d6 hth attack!

Am I interpreting the table correctly?

Spideydave

1 answer to this question

Re: Calculating dmage classes for an advantaged power

No, you're not interpreting it correctly. Those tables are simply intended to make it easy for you to determine how DCs are added to Advantaged attacks. They're not meant to say that "Attack X is equivalent to Attack Y" or that "Attack X, if Advantaged, is as effective as Attack Y." You can certainly use those tables that way if you want to, to help you when evaluating attacks, but that's not their primary purpose.

However, you can use them to determine how many DCs are in an attack, since you've imposed a DC limit in your campaign (as opposed to an Active Point limit, which is easier to figure out). If you look at the +1/4 column of the Normal Damage table, you'll see that 10d6 with a +1/4 Advantage equals 13 DCs. That definitely violates your campaign limit.

I hope that helps! If you're still unclear on things please feel free to post a follow-up. ;)