Naked advantage vs compound powers

Sunday_Gamer

Question

Hey Steve,

Enjoing 6th ed btw, I wasn't enjoying 5th ed so much but 6th ed seems to have worked out the kinks as it were.

And on that subject...

Heroman buys 4m radius area effect as a naked advantage.

He wants it to represent the sheer violent butt kickitude that occurs if anyone is stupid enough to get within reach of his fighting sticks.

(we'll skip the part where he doesn't have selective targetting ok? He gets a little crazy and just beats the hell out of everything within reach... good guys, bad guys, small shrubs...whatever.)

What should the naked adder be "aimed" at if you follow my meaning?

His attack is comprised of 20 STR, a martial strike, 2 extra damage classes for his Martial Arts and a 2d Hand Attack (the afore mentioned sticks)

If he "aims" the adder at his STR then his Martial arts and his hand attack will be unaffected... not what we want.

I know in previous editions a hand attack was always added to something else but I also know that "something else" didn't get a free ride on the advantage bus.

i.e. If you have 4d Hand Attack @ 0 END, while IT will be 0 End, any STR you use to assist will NOT be 0 END.

So the question I guess is "can you apply a naked advantage" to a combination of STR, Martial Arts Maneuvers, Martial Arts Damage Class and the Hand to Hand Attack power?

if so how would you define the naked adder? I suggested defining it as "on up to X points of Hand to Hand attack" figuring that would include the STR and the Martial arts, provided of course their total active points fit into the size of the adder.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sunday

1 answer to this question

Re: Naked advantage vs compound powers

First off, let me make sure you're clear on one thing, so that my answer is equally clear: there's no Adder involved here. An Adder is a separate game element. You're talking about a naked Advantage. I expect you understand that, given this question's title, but you used "adder" throughout so I wanted to make sure we're all on the same page. ;)

In this case, just add up the total amount of damage you want the naked Advantage to apply to, at the typical cost of 5 Character Points per d6, and apply the naked Advantage to that. So, if the character's maximum damage from STR, HA, and Combat/Martial Maneuvers is going to be, say, 12d6, you'd buy the Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4) Advantage to apply to attacks of up to 60 Active Points.

If that's not clear or you have further questions, please feel free to post a follow-up. ;)