Champions Online Power Conversions

CptPatriot

Hey, HEROphiles. I've been trying to convert my characters from Champions Online(CO) since I was involved in the beta. Now I have a few characters in CO I like and thought it would be cool to bring them back into the game I love. To that end, I'm gonna post my efforts here and open it for discussion.

What you should not expect is an exact duplication of the powers and some aspects of the game like generating threat, rooting targets, etc, will not be used. If you want to generate threat, then annoy your target through roleplay.

The first powers I'm porting over are from the Electricity powerset. I will expand on these as time goes on.

Look for them to be posted in the following posts.

Electricity Powerset

The Electricity Powerset consists of:

• Electric Bolts
  • Chain Lightning
  • Lightning Arc
  • Sparkstorm
  • Gigabolt
  • Ball Lightning
  • Lightning Storm
  • Electrocute
  • Thunderstrike
  • Electric Form
  • Electric Sheath
  • Ionic Reverberation
  • Electric Shield
  • Energy Storm

In CO, most powers work with a game mechanic that the players can use to additional effects. In the case of the Electricity Powerset, it is Negative Ions(NI). What I have done is assumed that any person whose been hit by an electrical attack has been affected by NI, unless a full turn has past since they were last hit by electricity. By doing it this way, you can also take advantage of other PCs attacks that don't take advantage of such a mechanic.

Please note that some CO advantages will not be addressed because of how I chose to address NI or because of differences between the MMO and the PnP game. Two types of advantages I will be avoiding are those that give a chance to generate Energy or Threat.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 100%, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Electric Bolts[/TD]

[TD]Chain Lightning[/TD]

[TD]Lightning Arc[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electric Bolts is referred to as an Energy Builder, which allows a CO character to build up energy to toss off more powerful attacks. The Hero System generally works on the assumption that when you enter into a fight, you are at your peak energy levels, so this attack just needs to simulate an attack that can be shot off quickly.

The CO advantage Lightning Overload gives Electric Bolts a 20% chance to bounce to another target, but because of the nature of the PnP game, I've increased the likelihood of it working.

Ionic Infusion increases the chance for NI to be applied to the target and it is rendered superfluous based on the definition I'm using for NI.

Please note that I've opted to allow the PC to only target enemies and let each target have a fighting chance to be hit, but if you feel this isn't proper or prefer to simplify things a little, then feel free to choose the Nonselective option for Area of Effect or remove Selective entirely and remove the Alternate Combat Value limitation.[/TD]

[TD]Chain Lightning is the first of the powers that takes advantage of NI to allow attacks to hit more than one opponent. It uses NI to allow its attack to form a chain of targets that get affected by the damage. It is generally a more powerful attack than Electric Bolts.

An advantage available for the CO power is Lightning Helix which creates a second arc that could hit the even more people, but because the Hero System doesn't allow a person to be hit twice in a single Area of Effect attack and using an additional power to allow it to be possible would bring the attack cost prohibitively high, I've chosen not to include it.[/TD]

[TD]Lightning Arc is a popular CO power which allows the player to maintain an attack against a target. Unlike the prior two attacks, this attack doesn't generate Negative Ions on the target in the game, but it does do an extra 20% against targets currently affected by them. What I assume is that the first round, if he isn't affected by those NI, he will be after it. I've chosen not to carry over any advantages from the CO power as it works with or against a CO game condition or mechanic I'm not supporting.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electric Bolts: +2 OCV & Blast 8d6 plus

Lightning Overload:
Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4) for up to 40 Active Points of Electric Bolts,

Personal Immunity (+1/4),

Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2);

Requires A Roll (10- roll; -3/4),

PC must select one enemies within the AoE at random(-1/2); Alternate Combat Value
[uses OCV against DCV of target] (-1/2)

* a limited version of attack that forces a target to be hit conventionally before an Area of Effect attack can take effect on those surrounding the target.[/TD]

[TD]Chain Lightning: Blast 9d6 plus

Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4) for up to 45 Active Points of Blast,

Targets hit by the attack are considered to be affected by
NI
(+0),

Personal Immunity (+1/4),

Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2);

Affects target, if target has
NI
, choose a random enemy; if the random person attacked is hit, they are affected by NI also and you select another random target in the AoE to be attacked and so on, however if owner takes declares he's taking Extra time(Delay Phase), all people in AoE will be attacked one by one at random until the attack misses. (-1/2)

[/TD]

[TD]Lightning Arc: Blast 8 1/2d6, Constant (+1/2) (67 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2) plus Blast 1 1/2d6, Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Only if affected by Negative Ions (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2)

Total Damage if under NI: 10d6+1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sparkstorm[/TD]

[TD]Gigabolt[/TD]

[TD]Ball Lightning[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sparkstorm is an point blank area of effect attack that's supposed to help by knocking away enemies that get too close, so you can knock them away. Since all attacks generally do knockback, I will simulate that by using the Increased Knockback advantage.[/TD]

[TD]Gigabolt is an area of effect[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]