Query: Limiting Adding Damage; No more than Double Base DC

BhelliomRahl

Question

Good day.

My query related to the optional rule (6E2 99) of limiting added damage to double the base DC.

It says that you can't do more than double the damage of the base DC of the weapon/Attack.

My query related to the Example given:

The dagger does 1/2d6 Armor Piercing. This is a 2DC Attack.

So the weapon can only do 4DC damage. Checking the Table on 6E2 101; Killing Damge +1/4 4DC is 1d6 damage. But the example say the Max damage is 1d6+1, this is the damage for a Killing Damage +0 4DC attack.

I don't understand this.

I will do my own example and please tell me if I have done this right.

Example

Character using Sword 2d6 Armour Piercing (+1/4) Damage (No Str Min.), this is 8DC attack. Character has Strength of 60, this allows him to add 12DC of damage to attack. The attack does 5d6 damage but we are using the Doubling rules. So checking the table on 6E2 101 a 16DC for a +1/4 attack attack does 4d6 damage. This means that the character does 4d6 damage instead of 5d6 due to the doubling rule.

This is how I do it. But if I follow the example on 6E2 99 I would do it this way.

2d6 Armour Piercing Attack. 8DC attack but Base DC is 6. Character has strength of 30, can add 6DC. Therefore the Max. damage is 12DC, 4D6. Check the table 6E2 101 column +1/4, 4d6 is 16DC. On the table go down to 8DC on +1/4 and we add 6DC to this with a limit of 4d6 damage, this takes use to 14DC which is 3.1/2d6 damage.

If the Character had STR100, added 20DC due to str would take us off chart, but this is not an issue because we are limiting damage to 4d6. Again with we go to the +1/4 coloum start at 8DC and add 20DC until we get to 4d6 damage where we stop. In this cast that is 16DC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How am I ment to do this?

Thank you for your help.

1 answer to this question

Re: Query: Limiting Adding Damage; No more than Double Base DC

The attack in the example has a base of 2 DCs (1/2d6 for a Killing Attack). The double of 2 is 4 DCs (1d6+1 for a Killing Attack). All the example says is that no matter how much STR he uses, the character can't increase the damage beyond 1d6+1, which is correct.

The Adding Damage Table isn't the same thing. What the table says is, if you have an attack of X DCs, and it has Y Advantages, and you add DCs from some source (STR, a Maneuver, whatever), here's what you get. The "doubling" rule doesn't say, "You can only double the DCs as indicated in the Adding Damage Table." It says, "you can only double the base DCs." This requires a lot more "input" for an Advantaged attack -- in the case of the Armor Piercing dagger, it would take three steps down the Adding Damage Table (+15 STR) instead of just two (+10 STR) -- but it's still possible under the optional "doubling" rule.

Does that clear things up? If not, please post a follow-up. Even under the much simpler 6E rules for adding damage things sometimes get tricky. ;)