Need opinions on weapon ability

badger3k

Working with a system that a lot of people prefer not to name, I am transferring weapon properties to FH. Here's one I'd like opinions on - its from the "under-negative light" book - the stalactite property:

The text: This property is normally reserved for bladed weapons. A stalactite blade resembles a long, thin stalactite instead of a standard blade. The difference in appearance does not affect the weapon statistics in any way. A critical hit with the weapon can turn the target to stone.

OK - the meat and drink:

6d6 Major Transform, Target into stone, [90]

Reduced END (0) (+1/2)

Conditional Power: Only on critical Hit (-2)

No Conscious Control (-2)

No Range (-1/2)

Linked to weapon attack (-1/4)

All or Nothing transform (-1/2)

OAF weapon (-1)

Independent (-2)

Active points: 135, Real points 15.

The properties such as this one are intended to give simple conversion and/or weapon effects. They are not stand alone (i.e. they go with a weapon, whose power is variable). I used the -1/4 linked since I doubt any magic weapon will equal or exceed the 135 active point cost. I gave it the -2 conditional since it requires a 3 to be rolled to take effect. Although given the chances of that, I maybe could go with an 8d6 effect to make it really nasty. In the other game system its a 12th level effect, Fort DC 19 to save, +3 bonus.

Any comments?

Re: Need opinions on weapon ability

Originally posted by badger3k

6d6 Major Transform, Target into stone, [90]

Reduced END (0) (+1/2)

Conditional Power: Only on critical Hit (-2)

No Conscious Control (-2)

No Range (-1/2)

Linked to weapon attack (-1/4)

All or Nothing transform (-1/2)

OAF weapon (-1)

Independent (-2)

Active points: 135, Real points 15.

The properties such as this one are intended to give simple conversion and/or weapon effects. They are not stand alone (i.e. they go with a weapon, whose power is variable). I used the -1/4 linked since I doubt any magic weapon will equal or exceed the 135 active point cost. I gave it the -2 conditional since it requires a 3 to be rolled to take effect. Any comments?

I'm curious why you included "No Conscious Control", is it duplicating the Conditional Power limitation or, is there some other reason it was included?

Also, you could use limitations similar to what is done with poisons in Fantasy Hero. Add "HKA must do Body Damage -1/2". Then add Activation to the Transform Power or maintain the Conditional Power limitation. I wouldn't include the OAF or No Range, it can only be used when the no range focus gets a critical hit so adding them on here seems to duplicate limitations that are on the weapon itself.

Re: Re: Need opinions on weapon ability

Originally posted by JTesla

I'm curious why you included "No Conscious Control", is it duplicating the Conditional Power limitation or, is there some other reason it was included?

I put that in since you can't choose to use it or not. In the critical hit situation it goes off whether you want it to or not. That may not be a limitation since, unless you are not fighting to kill a creature, turning it to stone may have the same virtual effect as killing it.

Also, you could use limitations similar to what is done with poisons in Fantasy Hero. Add "HKA must do Body Damage -1/2". Then add Activation to the Transform Power or maintain the Conditional Power limitation. I wouldn't include the OAF or No Range, it can only be used when the no range focus gets a critical hit so adding them on here seems to duplicate limitations that are on the weapon itself.

Didn't consider the no-range limitation as already part of the link. I included the OAF since it would be part of the weapon its put on, so it would get it anyway - for example, a standard sword (long) is 30 active, 11 real in FH (p 164). Add this property (as written), the active cost is 165, and the real cost would be 26.

Forgot - the transform would have the typical dispel magic as a default heal, but hadn't put in the delay on the normal healing of the transform.

Appreciate the input.