A weather control satallite?

Beazulbob

I've got a satillite with a 71 pt mp (for meson gun, laser, and weak nuclear force manipulator) - and I'd like to add weather control to it for the least fuss. Unless I'm missing something, I'll have to add something like 5 slots just to cover the basic weather. Is there a smoother/better way to do what I'm aiming for?

Re: A weather control satallite?

It depends strongly what you understand under "weather manipulation". Increasing/lowerign temperature? Or calling Lightning and Avalances?

In most cases Change Enviroment with Variable Combat Effect and (mabye) Long lasting adder and Megaarea should be okay (I asume you have Megascale range on the Multipower).

I have megascale on some slots in the MP (I have a near & far version of the meson gun, for example). I was hoping to limit the enviro to 1 slot, but I didn't seem to be making it work to well, even using multiple slots.

Since it fires from a satellite, It needs 100,000 km mega for range and 100 km mega for area. I also need to buy area of effect +1/4 (6th edition). This leaves the weather change very minor..

I've got -2 perseption, -1 m fly, +1 lv wind for a rain storm and longlasting 1 turn for 70 points. At this rate, I think I'd need at least 100 point MP in order to have strong weather - and buy each weather type as a slot. This is for a PC and is just a flavor power, so I don't have the points to spare to bump up the MP that much, just a few points to buy a slot.

Unless I've missed something, I think I'll have to abandon the weather satillite that changes the weather.

Aargh.

I think you overdid the range by a lot.

Middle earth orbit is where most satelites are. That is only 20,000-35,000 km. For a supertech sattelite, you could go down to 300 km (where the IIS hangs around; base level of megascale for any power with 30 base Points).

Also you don't need 100 km mega Area. 10 km or even 1 km is enough. Combat won't happen at ranges beyond 1 km anway so you would just wasting points.

But over all:

Yes, this very ulitarian power is very expensive. Fully in it's right, considering that most enemies can't counter an orbital laser gun/weathercontroll satelite and you can just set the weather as you like it.

Thank you for your feedback. I can drop some mega scale for range and if I have to I can reduce the area a little. This power isn't intended for combat, its just a plot/benefit he has to help with bad weather on earth. Unfortunatly, it still looks like it will take a slot per weather type. Since I'd be looking at at least 4 weather types, a non-combat influence will cost me 12-16 points - well outside of my PCs budget. Sigh.

If it is a Background or Plot Power, don't write it up at all.

He might be able to use it once or twice during the campaign without having paid points for it, but overall it will not be avalible ("It's in use somepalce esle", "It's still damage/drained from the last use") or it will be the focus of the adventure ("My Sattelite could solve this problem, but I can't get a signal without [insert adventure reason here]" or "Oh no, Dr. Destroyer has suborned my sattelite. I have to stop him before he does something with evil with it.")

A weather control satellite would be an indircct Megascale attack. The multipower could have darkness, telekinesis, energy blast, entangle, killing attack, and even force wall to simulate the effects on weather in an area. The heroes would go after your controls rather then the satelllite itself.

I did have a character, aptly named the weatherman, in 2nd edition, who spammed extend (I think that's the advantage) to create regional entangles, eb, nnd, tk, and darkness.

In this case, though, I am looking for milder effects, as it will be mostly a story device, not a functional attack. At most, it would be setting up a snowstorm to slow down a shipment of weapons, putting out a forest fire with rainstorm, and other similar applications. Then again - it would be cheaper (1d6 nnd snowstorm, defense is bundling up) - but it would end up causing civilian losses, and I'd be losing the modifier long lasting - so the weather would instantly dissapear once I switch slots, so I'm not sure yet. If I did it the way you (Cassandra) are suggesting, I'd still need multiple slots, which would still put it out of my point reach (71 pt mp).

Christopher - I would love it if I could just call it a plot power, but I don't have a GM at the moment for this character, so I cann't assume it will be hand waved as good for the story ability.