Treasure Generation Tool

bluesguy

My turn to contribute to the community. I have been using a spreadsheet to track both merchandise and randomly treasure in my campaign (The Valdorian Age). Recently I came across the tool Inspiration Pad Pro which makes it possible to create a number of text files that IPP reads and then uses to generate anything you want based on your files.

I have taken my spreadsheets and converted them into the kind of data files that Inspiration Pad Pro uses to randomly generate things. The result is a Valdorian Age treasure and merchandise generator. Here are the notes from the "Readme.txt" file which is part of the zip package.

========

This zip package includes the files necessary to generate treasure in a Valdorian Age campaign using the InspirationPadPro2 tool. You can download a copy of the InspirationPadPro2 tool from http://www.nbos.com/products/ipad/ipad.htm. It is a free program and it is very useful.

These random generation files have been "tuned" for the Valdorian Age campaign material. They have also been further "tuned" to fit my version of the Valdorian Age Campaign Material.

After you have installed the InspirationPadPro2 tool, locate the directory C:\...\nbos\InspirationPadPro2. You will then need to copy the Common\va directory to C:\...\nbos\InspirationPadPro2\Common and Generators\ValdorianAge directory to C:\...\nbos\InspirationPadPro2\Generators

When you start the InspirationPadPro2 tool the Valdorian Age should be one of the options.

The ValdorianAgeTreasure.ipt file is setup to generate many more mundane items than a typical fantasy campaign treasure pile. My players like finding 'useful' things in the treasures they come across.

It is very important to realize the Valdorian Age is a campaign world where monsters and magic are extremely rare. How often items show up is based on this rarity and the costs reflect the rarity as well.

One area where there is a great deal of detail has to do with the bookbinder.ipt file. My players are very interested in books in the campaign world. Their characters will spend coin on books. So I have created a very complex book generator. It is highly customized to the campaign world (people, locations, etc).

To adapt this material for another campaign the following files will have to be changed:

1. coins.ipt - This generated is highly skewed to generate copper and small amounts of silver coins. Finding gold coins has a 1 in a 1000th chance of occurring.

2. colleges.ipt - These are the magic colleges. The outcomes have been adjusted away from certain types of magic (Black Magic, Conjuration, Elemental, Necromancy, Shamanism, and Witchcraft) and towards other types (Alchemy, Song, Divine, Wizardry, Divination, etc).

3. historictimes.ipt - This is very specific for the Valdorian Age campaign world. Extensive changes need to made here for this file to work with other campaign worlds.

4. holidays.ipt - This is a simple file to change

5. oldgods.ipt - List of deities in the Valdorian Age and it will need to be changed for another campaign world.

6. people.ipt - This is another area that will require extensive changes for another campaign world.

7. places.ipt - This is another area that will require extensive changes for another campaign world.

There is at least one bug in the files. There are times when a "Novel" is generated but the 'place' that should be generated with the novel's title doesn't appear.

====

If you have questions please contact me.