"Mutant vampire" / unusual power absorbtion

Kristopher

(Maybe this has been covered before, but...)

First, I'm not sure that absorbtion is the right term, since 1) it's already the name of a specific power, and 2) it implies that the target character losses what the absorbing character gains, which isn't the case.

Anyway, the NPC in question adds powers to her repetoir by consuming the genetic material of another mutant. Typically this would be done by drinking a bit of their blood.

The problem is, there's no easy way to do this in HERO without giving the NPC gobs of XP every time she gets a chance to snag another power. I suppose there's the massive VPP, but that really doesn't have the feel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

if you have the USPD then it has that power, they did it with certain lims on the VPP, it's expensive, which it should be since it is such a powerful ability,

but if it is an NPC then price is no object, and if it is an NPC then it should get the "plot device" stamp of approval and you should just mark down what powers he has stolen.

Originally posted by Insaniac99

if you have the USPD then it has that power, they did it with certain lims on the VPP, it's expensive, which it should be since it is such a powerful ability,

but if it is an NPC then price is no object, and if it is an NPC then it should get the "plot device" stamp of approval and you should just mark down what powers he has stolen.

I'm feeling lazy. What page of USPD is that on? ;)

Originally posted by Kristopher

I'm feeling lazy. What page of USPD is that on? ;)

the one I was thinking about is the "mimicking" power om page 265 the base power costs 221 points, but from your description, it will have to have a few changes, most of which are listed i think, feel free to come back if you need more help :-)

edit: just reworded to make more sense

Originally posted by Insaniac99

the one I was thinking about is the "mimicking" power om page 265 the base power costs 221 points, but from your description, it will have to have a few changes, most of which are listed i think, feel free to come back if you need more help :-)

edit: just reworded to make more sense

What kind of limit would you place on the control cost for "only to duplicate powers from those whose genetic material she has been consumed."

(I think I'm beginning to remember a minor Marvel villain who did this.)

Originally posted by Kristopher

What kind of limit would you place on the control cost for "only to duplicate powers from those whose genetic material she has been consumed."

(I think I'm beginning to remember a minor Marvel villain who did this.)

I would say that would be linked to a HTH or HKA (maybe even penetrating), and must do atleast one body to copy powers.

as for actual limitation cost, I don't know, I Don't think I would go higher than -1/2, and depending on the game, it would be a -1/4 (its easier to do the body damage or get blood from a mutants with just one power than agaisnt the high powered supers who always have a high defense...

EDIT: this may not get exactly what you want though i guess, but I would just say that getting DNZ is the SFX of doing body, so you could jsut rule that well, since those are the special efects, you could still get the powers by stealing blood form the bloodbank or plucking a hair while they are sleeping, but if you want to get taht specific for the disadvantage, since it is an NPC I'd just right that down and use the above mechanics to simulate it in battle, which is the only point where NPC writeups count...