Drawing fire/goading/"gaining aggro" -- Presence Attacks and skill use

Epiphanis

Question

A "Tank" character with extremely effective defenses wants to attract fire away from more vulnerable teammates in a fight. His opponents are tactically savvy enough to know that their attacks are better used to wipe out more vulnerable teammates first before dogpiling the Tank. The Tank to use a Presence Attack to convince them to attack him first, against their better judgment.

1) How appropriate is this use of Presence Attack? The writeup for the Presence Attack rules seem to suggest that the more effective the attack, the less likely the target is to attack the Presence Attacker.

2) Assuming its an appropriate use, under most circumstances would convincing the target to choose the PRE-attacker over tactically preferable targets be a Target PRE+10 effect or a PRE+20 effect?

3) How would you judge the appropriateness of different Reputations? I can see an argument that a reputation that the PRE-attacker is weak would work to his advantage ("He's an easy target, lets quickly get him out of the way before taking on tougher targets"), but the opposite sort of reputation could arguably have the same effect ("This guy's such a badass, we have to take him out first before he gets us!"). Any guidelines/suggestions for handling this?

4) What other modifiers would be commonly appropriate for such a use of PRE-attack?

5) Would a use of the Persuasion skill by the PRE-attacker be appropriate to bolster the PRE-attack? Could the use of Persuasion substitute for a PRE-attack? How about other interaction skills for this purpose?

6) The Tank encounters an opposing character who may or may not have Psychological Complications that would make them easier to goad in the above way, such as Enraged. Are there any common skills/abilities for divining such, other than guesswork and trial-and-error through roleplay? I get that Telepathy can be used in this way, but I'm thinking of more mundane skills. For instance, would a variant of the Analyze Skill, say "Analyze Psychological Complication," be appropriate? Or PS: Psychology? If so, how much time/conversation/observation would be appropriate to determining this information?

1 answer to this question

Re: Drawing fire/goading/"gaining aggro" -- Presence Attacks and skill use

1-5. This is all up to the GM. Different campaigns may want to handle this issue different ways, after all.

6. Generally speaking there's no way to determine a character's Psychological Complications, aside from the use of Telepathy, or perhaps an Enhanced Sense defined as some sort of psionic power. If the GM wants to allow a character to define a Skill that works that way, for example Analyze Psychology or SS: Psychology, he's free to do so... but I'll also leave it to him to deal with the implications and game balance impact of that sort of thing.