Naked Advantage question

tcabril

I was looking up the rules for Fanning a Single-Action revolver in the Hero System Equipment Guide (page 51).

It states that autofire can be purchased as a naked (5 shots; +1/2) advantage for firearms up to 37 Active Points (the most expensive single-action revolver on the chart)

So when I calculate it out I get:

Advantages

5 shot autofire = +1/2

Limitations

Only works w/single-action revolvers (-1/4)

Requires a Shooting Tricks roll (-1/2)

(37*(1+1/2))/(1+3/4) - 37 = -5 which becomes 1 (the minimum cost rule)

Am I doing this right - seem a bit inexpensive to be able to Fan a Revolver...

Re: Naked Advantage question

No, you're not quite right. You apply the Limitations to the NA itself, after you get it's proper Active Point Cost.

Autofire 5 (+1/2) for up to 37 points of Revovlers;

(37*1.5) = 56 Points, now you subtract the Revolver Cost

56 - 37 = 19 Active Points of Naked Advantage, now apply the Limitations

19 AP / 1.75 = 11 Real Points. The Autofire 5 for Single Action Revovlers costs 11 Points.

Full Formula, where A = Advantages, L = Limitations, X = Active Points of Power Applied To

((X * (1 + A)) - X)/(1+L) = Real Point Cost of NA.

Another thing, normally when you choose a Naked Advantage you choose the Power Set or Power it applies to, and you don't get a limitation for that. In this case it would be "Autofire for Single Action Revolvers" - a GM may or may not allow that to have a Limitation if he also allows "Autofire for any Revolver" but it gets tricky and this does have to be eyeballed. Naked Advantage does not, by default, work for every power and then is limited, you just choose some Powers and that's it. Consider it a trade off for not having to always use the Advantage as is normal for a Power.