"Soft" Cover and Behind Cover/Firing Into Melee, 6E 43

Epiphanis

Question

Two humanoid allies of roughly the same size are in combat. One is a brick with high defenses, the other an energy projector with relatively low defenses. The projector stands behind the brick and fires bolts at the opposition over/around him. I'm guessing that with Hit Location rules, that would be head, hands, arms, and legs exposed and everything else covered, and one-third of the body showing (OCV -3) under the main rules. Yes?

Would the "Firing Into Melee" optional rule apply unmodified here, the same as if the combatant providing the "soft" cover were an ally of the attacker (and in danger of being hit by "friendly fire") rather than an ally of the attacked person actively trying to protect him? Or should the soft-cover provider (intentionally protecting the Target) be more likely to be hit than an ally of the attacker (who might accidentally be in the way)?

1 answer to this question

Re: "Soft" Cover and Behind Cover/Firing Into Melee, 6E 43

1. I'll leave that to the GM to interpret based on the situation, but it sounds like a reasonable situation to me. OTOH I'd also rule that any misses due to Behind Cover hit the brick automatically. ;)

2. I'm not sure I follow your argument here. I wouldn't use the Firing Into Melee rule at all; I'd just rule that any miss by 1-3 points automatically hits the brick; any miss by 4 or more misses both of 'em entirely.