Expendable Focus and Spell Components

Brett

I like the additional flavor added to spells by requiring expendable foci to cast many spells, but this seems burdensome in ways.

The primary problem that I see would be keeping track of the spell components and replacing them. How many rune engraved pebbles does the spellcaster have left? When she runs out, how long does it take to engrave one? This seem like it would lead to a lot of bookkeeping. (On the other hand, I tend to find keeping up with arrows left to be tedious.)

Perhaps spell casters should be allowed to have a Spell Components Pouch that they pay a monthly price to maintain. As long as they pay this price and have the pouch in their possession, it is assumed that they have the Foci needed for spells with up to and including Difficult to Obtain Foci. Very Difficult and Extremely Difficult Foci must be maintained separately. Of course, a method must then be determined to calculate the monthly price.

Does anyone have any other suggestion on how to handle this situation?

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like keeping track of spell components when playing a spellcaster. It adds a certain verisimilitude to know that I only have enough bats' wings left to cast my Flight Spell five times -- I'd better find a source of resupply fast! Similarly, you can add in a nice level of roleplaying, and perhaps generate some mini-adventures (or at least blue-booking) from dickering with "component merchants" over prices, looking for rare components, or trying to find ways to substitute one component for another (perhaps at reduced spell effect or a harder Skill Roll; see FH 252).

Detailed spell components would definitely add to a very role-playing intensive game. However, I was looking for more of a middle ground between spell components being detailed and nonexistent.

On some of the spells in the FHG, I wonder if spell components would discourage a player from choosing a particular spell or perhaps not even being a spell caster. For example, Mystic Dart requires a Difficult to Obtain miniature dart made of gold or crystal. If the player could simply buy these at a wizard's shop, each dart should cost about 10 SP. A player might decide that it is more economical in both money and character points to have a STR 13, buy a Very Heavy Bow for 30 SP, then only have to pay 4 CP for each arrow used (also some arrows may be recoverable and can also be found and taken from fallen enemies.) The same character could buy plenty of Bow or Ranged Combat Skill Levels for all the points that it would take to get a Wizardry skill high enough to cast Mystic Dart consistently with it -6 Magic Skill Roll. While it may be easier to hit with the Mystic Dart due to its One Hex Accurate Area of Effect, the target can still dodge the attack or dive for cover. The Mystic Dart also only works on living creatures (although many undead and constructs may not be too bothered by arrows either.)

tracking stuff

In my last FH game, we did it all on 3x5 cards. They had little boxes you checked off when something was used. It works best if the GM does the cards and hands them out as needed. You can also do nit-picky stuff between games, gives the players something else to emai the GM about.

- Ernie

I'm with Steve. I don't see any reason why a player can't keep track of his character's spell components. I have always meticulously kept track of such things whenever I have played a character in any game. It's never been a problem.

As a GM, I don't want to get too much into the specifics of haggling over price, etc. It's up to players to tell me that they want to collect spell components, or any other equipment. If it's buying, I just decide if it's available for sale in their area, the cost per unit, and expect them to keep track of the gold and encumbrance. If the spell component can be foraged, then it might require some sort of skill roll.

Generally, any spell that merely mimics a piece of commonly available equipment isn't going to be too popular with spell casters. Regardless of spell component costs, players aren't going to spend character points to do something which they could do with equipment costing no character points.

On your Mystic Dart example, however, the spell is far more useful than a bow, given the Area Effect advantage. Hitting a hex at a steady DCV of 3, rather than a target with not only its standard DCV but skill levels and maneuvers, is way better (unless you don't set limits on the skill levels that player characters can buy). That advantage is also certainly worth a premium as far as spell component cost.

On the other hand, you could price a wizard out if you make spell components too expensive. If a wizard can reasonably expect to cover the costs of his spell components after an adventure, he probably won't mind paying for them regardless of whether they cost twice as much as arrows or ten times as much as arrows. If, on the other hand, buying spell components is going to keep him in poverty, he will look to another profession other than a wizardly one. I think, if the spell is reasonably unique and can't be reproduce with mundane equipment, the relevant comparison is not spell component cost to equipment cost, but spell component costs compared to the expected gains of adventuring and using those spells.

Some options

If you put all your consumable components into one bag, with a monthly fee, you are essentially replacing one expendable focus with another non expendable focus. The bag becomes the focus. Whats in it is special effect.

Another option would be to keep the components required. They could be carried in any normal pouch. But the player could buy/find/make a pouch that uses any of a number of powers to call on a stockpile of items from some secure location to thier personal location. Access to that reserve of items might come at a price, or the player might need to maintain thier own reserve.

To me, this doesn't invalidate the limitation because the bag could still be removed, or the components on the other end of the bag could be stolen, or replaced for some plot twist. Access to the reserve might require some form of allegiance or duty.

Me, I like the idea that if you are using a consumable, you keep track of it. Gold, Arrows, Rune-pebbles, rations, etc... As GM I do not keep track of these things, but require each player to.

Its not a hard thing to do, its a habit to get into. Just like recording your end use, etc..