Charges and persistent Powers

Photon1966

I'm working on a new campaign and read that continuing charges tops out at +0 for Persistent powers.

So character has 16 charges on their VPP

Casts Protective shield 5PD/ 5ED Resistent defense and when does it end? Never? My thoughts were it would last for one battle, no matter how long that battle should take. Can't have a fight in one room, kill it all, then rush down the corridor to the next to keep the benefits. But if the battle was a big one that lasted the whole night and possible the following night then it'd still be there.

Or casts water breathing, swims out to boat. Occasionally pooping to the surface to check things out wouldn't cancel the spell. But when they climb out of the water on to the boat then the spell would end.

I think I'm interpeting the rules correctly.

Comments please

Re: Charges and persistent Powers

Yup, you are interpreting it correctly. The key phrase from the rule is:

"All powers bought with Continuing Charges must include a reasonably common way to turn the power off. If a power with Continuing Charges is turned off for any reason, the Charge is used up; the character must use another Charge to reactivate the power. "

All you are doing here is providing a reasonably common way to turn the power off: essentially "powers last for one scene". Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Continuing charges are not meant to be a cheap way of getting powers that are always active on the cheap.

cheers, Mark