Counterstrike (and the lack thereis)

acide_bob

one of my player bought the Coutnerstrike martial maneuver in the HDv3

So the first time he used it we assumed it was a block, followed by a strike if the block suceeded or something similar. So we went with that considering we didn't want to go through the books during a game session.

Today I was trying to find it in the books and... nothing.

Character Creation doesn't mention it, comabt and adventuring also. i have Martial Arts, you can see the name here and there in some Martial Arts description, but didn't find any actual description of the maneuver and how it works.

So can someone help me a bit, am I really taht blind or is it somewhere in some other book i don't have?

Re: Counterstrike (and the lack thereis)

Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, Cost 4, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2D6 Strike, Must Follow Block

If the character uses a Block, then on his next Phase he can use the Counterstrike. Same as a Martial Strike except the improved chance to hit.

Not only that but, as per the rules for Blocking, you'll get the hit in before the attacker gets his next action. This works well for sweep counters since the OCV bonus is fairly high which lets you attack 2-3 times before you start having to worry about missing.

If you're looking for something that immediately follows the attack, then you can use a damage shield HTH attack which is something that they show in the UMA (pg 131):

Counterstrike: HA +6d6. Damage Shield (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END +1/4) (82 active points); HTH attack (-1/2), Requires a Successful Attack roll (-1/2), Not When Grabbed (-1/4) Total Cost 36 points

This example would fire off all the time as long as the user gets hit or contacts the target. If you want something to immediately follow a block, a HTH attack that has a trigger that fires on a successful block would work. Something like:

Counterstrike - +4d6 HTH Attack (or higher if you need it), Trigger (when character blocks an attacker's HTH attack, activates as an action that takes no time, resets immediately +1) (40 active points); HTH attack (-1/2) Total cost 27 points

This is something that will let you attack the instant you resolve a block since it takes no time and it will continue to stay in effect since it resets immediately. So the idea is that, as long as you're able to block attacks, you can automatically counter every time you successfully block.