Ruling for an attacker taking control of / using a Personal Foci via nested NPA UBO's

Killer Shrike

Question

Hi Steve.

It was recently posited by a different poster that it is legal using the rules as written to effectively hijack another character's Power bought via a Focus defined as "Personal" and use that Power despite the "Personal" nature of the Focus.

I disagree with this interpretation (citing "The advantage of a Personal Focus is that a villain cant take it and use it against the character; the Complication is that it cant be loaned to a friend." from 6E1 380...and also on general principle), but the other party seems to be convinced of the legitimacy of it and others seem to agree that it is using the rules as intended and is legal.

Rather than argue incessantly back and forth over interpretation, I'd rather just get a ruling if possible.

Their construct was stated as:

0 Here You Go: Naked Advantage: Usable by One Other for up to 60 points of Focus-Derived powers; Recipient controls power, Recipient pays END, can only grant to others, Standard Range, Trigger: Upon receiving this power, 0 END; RP:60

Notes: Focus-thief doesn't have this power, but it's written up separately to show its effect on the victim. the cost of this 'power' is included in...

150 Gimme Your Focus: Naked Advantage: Usable as Attack for up to 60 points of Here You Go; can only grant power, Standard Range,

My question is...

Q: Is such a construct using an NPA Usable As Attack to force NPA Usable By Other onto a target (wiling or unwilling) to take control of and use a Power limited by a Personal Focus:

a) perfectly legal and intended

B) technically legal but not intended

c) Stop Sign and GM's approval and kind of out there, but within the spirit of the rules

d) ...I wouldn't allow that but your welcome to in your games

e) Not legal

f) Something else?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

A Personal Focus by definition can only be used by the character who paid points for it. Other characters cannot "override" this rule with Usable By Other, naked Power Advantages, or anything else. A GM is free to rule otherwise, of course, but if so he can deal with how it's done and the implications of it. ;)