Critical Hits with Attacks with increased effect due to Margin of Success.

BhelliomRahl

Question

Good day.

I am currently running a MHI game and we are use the optional Critical Hit Rule. 

My queries related to determine what is a Critical Hit for Combat Maneuvers where additional effect is determined by Margin of Success on attack rolls?

Related Combat Maneuvers:

Autofire: I have treated each shot as an individual attack for determining if its a Critical Hit.

i.e.  Target DCV: 3.  Attacker hits DCV of 13 or less. So Shots hit on 3,5,7,9 & 11.  I have said that shots 3 and 5 are Critical Hits and 7,9 & 11 roll damage normally.  Is this the correct method?

Multi-Fire:  Was unsure how to handle this.  My initial thought was to say that using the same attack example as above that the base attack +1DC does maximum damage and the 4DCs is rolled as normal.  However this does complicate matters.  Was wondering if their is a rule precedent or how you would rule it. 

Thank you.

1 answer to this question

1. If you want to use the Critical Hits rules on 6E2 118 with an Autofire attack, do it this way:  for purposes of determining if a hit is a Critical Hit, double the target’s DCV; every shot that hits that DCV or higher qualifies as a Critical Hit.

2.  For Multifire, your best option is not to use the Critical Hit rules at all; simply consider a low roll, by ensuring multiple hits and thus a significant increase in the DCs of the attacks, essentially counts as a “critical hit” because of the extra damage done. For example, suppose a character uses an RKA 1d6+1 and Multifires three shots, hitting with all three. That raises the attack to 2d6. The maximum result on the unmodified attack (i.e., what it does with a Critical Hit) is 7 BODY; the average roll on the modified attack is likewise 7 BODY, and it could get even higher. Mathematically that won’t always work out so neatly, but it’s a lot easier than coming up with a special rule. ;)