Normal Hearing with targeting vs stealth

Epic Legand

Question

Hi Steve, I have unsuccessfully looked for an answer to this. I understand that one could use stealth and hide from normal hearing, what I am unclear on is the influence "targeting" would have on a perception role vs  stealth. I came up in our last game and rereading the perception rules does not seam to help. Also, in the same vain, what influence would stealth have vs "active sonar" ? Thank you for your time.

1 answer to this question

Targeting doesn't improve the PER Roll a character makes with a Sense, it simply allows him to target whatever he can perceive without penalty. Thus Targeting Hearing doesn't negate Stealth, or make it easier to perceive someone who's stealthy -- it just allows the character to attack the stealthy target more easily once he does perceive him.

Re: other Senses and Stealth, here's the relevant rule from HSS/TUS:

Stealth most commonly affects the Sight and Hearing Sense Groups. However, technically it applies to all Senses, including unusual ones such as Combat Sense and Danger Sense, unless the GM rules otherwise based on considerations of game balance, common sense, and dramatic sense. For example, an ordinary human probably couldn’t use Stealth to avoid the Smell/Taste Group Senses of a dog, since there’s no real way to “hide” body scent. However, the GM might allow it if the character could, for example, rub himself with something to disguise or conceal his normal body scent, or could make a Stealth roll to realize which way the wind is blowing so he can stay downwind from the dog to minimize his chance of being smelled. Similarly, hiding from Unusual Senses or Senses defined as belonging to no ordinary Sense Group, like Combat Sense and Danger Sense, can pose game balance problems. Even a hidden danger may constitute a danger, allowing a Danger Sense roll — which would become a Skill Versus Skill Contest against the Stealth, if the GM felt that was appropriate.