Omni Corps Presents: Afterlife

wick

Deep within the bowels of an undisclosed Omni Corps research lab, General Wilson (USA), Admiral Helmsley (USN), and General Ransom (USMC) paced about the room in irritation;  a small group of scientists shuffle their feet nervously. One gentleman in a lab coat leans back in a swivel chair, nonchalantly sipping coffee.  "What is this all about Dr. Heinrich?", Wilson complained grumpily, " Why have you asked us to be here on such short notice? I had to cancel several important meetings."Heinrich, replying in a thick German accented English, " General Wilson, we have had a break through that may be of great interest to the Department of Defense." Just then a tall figure enters the room wearing a sleek business suit and conveying a sense efficiency and power. "I apologize, for keeping you gentlemen waiting, I am Arthur Trent founder of Omni and I think we have something you may want." Arthur signals to one be speckled lab assistant and within moments the wall blanks and then reveals images of lab tests in progress. "Our first tests of drug AFT3105 or as we like to call it 'Afterlife' were very promising.", Arthur continues as the group of military officers take their seats. The video depicts lab coated scientist humanely killing rabbits who are hooked up to devices. The video time lapses forward a day with the heart rate monitor constantly flat lined.  At the 24 hour mark the monitor begins to spike in a low, regular rhythm. The sides on the rabbit rise and fall almost imperceptibly.  A collective gasp escapes the lips of the befuddled officers.  The time lapse continues to 48 hours at which point the breathing and heart rate increase and the rabbit begins to stir from its torpidity.  "Gentlemen, this is no trick we have repeated this experiment on hundreds of animals including chimps and apes with great success."

"Has any human trials been conducted?", asked Helmsley.  "What about side effects?", Wilson chimed in. " What is the cost to develop and implement?", Ransom grumbled.  "Gentlemen,  it would be unethical to conduct human trials after all would require killing someone, which also limits our tests on side effects particularly on psychological factors," replied Arthur.  "As for costs, at this point it may be prohibitively expensive  to implement on common ground soldiers. For a comparable cost you could purchase a couple of jet fighters," Arthur continued.  "Yes but it may be worth while to use this technology on Elite units like our SEALS in order to make them invincible!," exclaimed Helmsley. The group erupted into argument and questions all talking at once. "Gentlemen, gentlemen!," Arthur yelled, " there are a few limitations to the technology.  The subject is not invincible.  They can still be decapitated, burned to ash, or suffer from amputating injuries. And the subjects are out of action for 48 hours with signs of disorientation for days after words."  The clamor died down and the group asked in unison, " So the tech is worthless to us then, why did you call us in here?"

Arthur cleared his throat took a sip of water and said, "First off the technology is not worthless, petty dictators would bankrupt their countries in order to have this technology for personal use.  Secondly, the technology has potential once its kinks are worked out and it could be developed to be more cost effective. What am asking for you here is your assistance in circumventing some laws and to protect my company. We have invested billions in the technology which means I must turn a profit.  But to do that would mean patenting the technology, which as you know only remains proprietary for 20 years thereafter anyone can copy the tech.  I doubt many countries would bother to wait that long before producing their own knock offs. This would make your jobs of killing evil men that much harder.  Frank Thompson, the director of the CIA agrees that this genie should not be let out of the bottle but his organization lacks the funding to buy my silence."  "This is extortion!," exclaimed Halsey.   "No gentlemen, this is business. Anyone else would not consult you at all and they would be legally within their rights. I am afraid of what this technology could do in the wrong hands but I am also beholden to my partners and company. What I propose is exclusive rights to the U.S. government which under the purview of sensitive military technology will be protected.  If you so choose to develop this technology, Omni Corps get exclusive rights to continue to develop the technology.  I don't trust any one else with it."

Leaving the meeting Dr. Heinrich catches up with Arthur walking down the hall. "How did it go sir?," asked Heinrich.  "They need to go back and discuss it with their boss, but I believe they will come around.," Arthur replied coolly.  Walking to a display window over looking an operating theatre where a surgery is being conducted, Arthur looks on with interest as a small device is being placed into the patient. "How goes the procedure?"  Dr. Heinrich replied, " She is stable and the device has been grafted to her system without any complications. She should recover with little discomfort."  "Doctor could you also arrange for some flowers and balloons in the recovery room?," Arthur asked.

"Yes sir."

"Oh. And don't forget the ice cream, she was also getting her tonsils out so her throat will be sore."

"Yes sir, I will make sure your daughter Caitlyn is in the best of hands."

Hero Stats for After life.

Healing 1D6: Regeneration. Resurrection.   Persistent (+1/2), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2), Resurrection only (-1/2), Focus IIF (-1/4), Extra time(1 Day; -4), Self only (-1/2), Side effects: Coma for 24 hours after 24 hours from activation and complete amnesia until activation roll can be made with bonus or penalties based on familiar places or people assisting or penalties if in unfamiliar areas or with strangers; roll allowed twice per day (major side effect, occurring automatically -1), Charges: 1 charge with extra recovery time  of 1 month as the body replenished the chemicals in the device (-3)

Total cost: 6 Real points