Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby

VOICE of Doom

A long time ago, we were talking about older, dangerous, villain groups such as the Seven Horsemen and VOICE.  Somebody (I think Lord Liaden, not sure) had gone through and updated their versions and included some name changes (either for correct translations or more appropriate names).  Does anyone have such a list, preferably with the explanations of why the name changes?

Thank you for your time.

Postscript: VOICE members are: Lung Hung, Black Raven, Dr. Photon, Blue Eel, La Pulga, Carrier, Goshawk, Irredenca, Graf Von Grausom, Le Maistre, and Szybko

As I've discussed with Steve Perrin, there are minor inaccuracies in some of the foreign-language names for the villains in VOICE of Doom. I thought I would just point them out here for folks who prefer linguistic accuracy (Steve told me he has no problem with this) :) :

"Le Maistre" is not quite the right rendering of what Steve was going for, which was "The Master." In French that would be Le Maitre with a "^" over the letter "i" (I'm having trouble getting my keyboard to do that). :o

The Italian nationalist slogan uttered by Irredencia from which he takes his name is actually Italia Irredenta, "Italy unredeemed." It refers to territories in other European countries with Italian-speaking populations, claimed as part of a "greater Italy." (BTW I think that "Unredeemed" is a very cool name for a villain.) :cool:

"Graf von Grausom" doesn't really translate as "Baron of Terror." "Terror" in German is schrecken; grausom or grausam is more "fierce" or "cruel." It's also an adjective - the noun form would be grausamkeit.

Also, a graf is higher in the feudal hierarchy than a baron, equivalent to a count. In fact you can translate Graf von Grausamkeit as "Count of Cruelty" and keep that classy alliteration. ;)

Lung Hung ("Red Dragon") and La Pulga ("The Flea") are just fine as they are. :D

If you would like the original threads where the characters were discussed and updated to 5E (by VOICE creator Steve Perrin and others), I can link you to them. Those threads no longer have the files Steve attached with his updated character write-ups, but I saved those myself if you want them.

If you would like the original threads where the characters were discussed and updated to 5E (by VOICE creator Steve Perrin and others), I can link you to them. Those threads no longer have the files Steve attached with his updated character write-ups, but I saved those myself if you want them.

Thanks for providing the information!  I went and reread the character descriptions and I think some of the members can be "updated" with 5E characters.  For example, La Pulga could be replaced with Shrinker and Carrier could be replaced with Plague (or Plague could go to the Seven Horsemen).  Blue Eel should be an easy replacement too, but if I leave the computer to "GRAB" CKC, the wife might try to play Sims again. :winkgrin:

My bad. As the backgrounds as well as their appearance are very similar. Maybe they are twins?

Heh, could be (although, different last names).  You could always make them the same person.  One version is just an infiltrator. :whistle:

I updated every member of VOICE for my own campaign. They turned out fairly well all things considered.

By "updated," did you use official HERO villains (that sounds like an oxymoron), or just update their stats?  If you used established villains, would you care to share?

I've recently toyed with the idea of VOICE using the independent organization as a facade, while it really assists someone or something else:

• Empress V'han - Vanguard Order for the Inter-dimensional Conquering Empress
  • COIL - Villainous Ophidian Insurgents for COIL's Expansion (Those who don't look like amphibians)
  • DEMON - Villainous Organization Instigating Chaos Everywhere
  • China - Valiant. Obedient. Infalliable.: China's Expansion (Those barbarians allowed to serve)
  • VIPER - VIPER's Optional Instruments Company of Experts

You can have them be misguided vigilantes:

Victims Opposing Injustice Crime and Evil

What about their agents, the tongue (spying and surveillance), throat (recruitment, training and suppliers) and the jaws (security)?

I've recently toyed with the idea of VOICE using the independent organization as a facade, while it really assists someone or something else:

• Empress V'han - Vanguard Order for the Inter-dimensional Conquering Empress
  • COIL - Villainous Ophidian Insurgents for COIL's Expansion (Those who don't look like amphibians)
  • DEMON - Villainous Organization Instigating Chaos Everywhere
  • China - Valiant. Obedient. Infalliable.: China's Expansion (Those barbarians allowed to serve)
  • VIPER - VIPER's Optional Instruments Company of Experts

Or Dr. Yin Wu. Older than Lung Hung, powerful, a Chinese (classical cultural) nationalist aspiring to world conquest.

Or Dr. Yin Wu. Older than Lung Hung, powerful, a Chinese (classical cultural) nationalist aspiring to world conquest.

Possibly. But do you have something else that VOICE would stand for? That's my kicker. :bounce:

You can have them be misguided vigilantes:

Victims Opposing Injustice Crime and Evil

Hmm, how would that explain them attacking the Freedom Squad?

I could see that working with "To Serve and Protect" by having them attack the Protectors before their mind-controlled crimes were taking place, but my original thinking was to still have them weaken hero groups.