Does a limitation on a multipower affect the reserve points?

Narf the Mouse

Question

I had previously thought that a multipowers' reserve points were strictly equal to its base points. However, as it came up in this post: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/89319-jedi-counterparts/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2383099

However, after actually re-reading the text for the first time in quite a while, page 405 surprised me; the section on multipower limitations seems to say that, if you apply a limitation to only the multipower, that limitation reduces the size of the reserve, thus limitating the maximum number of points available to distribute to the multipower pools' powers.

Do multipower-only limitations reduce the size of the reserve that can be distributed to pool powers, or is the reserve always strictly equal to the pools' base points?

1 answer to this question

I'm not sure how the text might imply that the reserve itself might be reduced (rather than its cost), but fortunately that interpreation's absolutely incorrect. :celebrate:  If a Limitation literally made the amount of reserve points less, that'd be so unusual the text would have to call it out and explain it in some detail, since it wouldn't be like anything else in the rules.

Relevant quotes from the text:

"If a Limitation affects only the Multipower as a whole, or only the character’s ability to change slots, then it applies only to the Multipower reserve." (The text says nothing about the Limitation doing anything other than what it normally does -- reduce an ability's cost -- which the quote below reinforces.)

"If a Limitation applies to the whole Multipower — if it affects all uses of the reserve and every slot — then the Limitation reduces the cost of the Multipower reserve and the slots."

And that's all it affects:  the cost. A Limitation on a Multipower's reserve doesn't reduce the amount of reserve points a character has to allocate. It only reduces how many Character Points he pays for that reserve.