Turakian-style magic system

Greg

I've never seen any of the Turakian campaign setting and I'm not necessarily looking for yet another campaign setting, but I think its magic system is the one I want to use. I've had the Fantasy Hero book since Gencon and picked up the Grimoire over the weekend so I've been guessing at the way it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, I would have a wizard buy a Endurace reserve, which I'll just call a mana pool or something similar, for say 20 points actual cost that would be 10 mana rechargable once per round. Then they might buy a couple spells from the grimoire possibly at a 3rd of the cost per the suggestion in the grimoire. Lastly they would buy one skill (with however many levels) per school they want to cast in so for example Fire magic might be 3 to buy and 2 per point averaging around a 15- for 5 points if they have a 20 Intelligence and assuming Int is the stat for spell schools. I don't think I'd be using a VPP or anything because this is more like a D&D wizard than a sorceror. Not to mention I'm not particularly good at the rules yet. Are there any basic concepts/steps I'm missing or is that basically the system?

Basically, you've got it, except that the buying of an Endurance Reserve isn't required. Many wizards do buy one, and the rules for the system explain what happens in that event, but it's not mandatory. Also, in the Turakian Age setting there's no "possibly" about dividing spells' Real Cost by 3, but if you're adapting the system of course you can get rid of or add elements as you please. ;)