Differing Modifier Active Points

Armitage

Question

Way back in 2011, I asked a question about the Active Point total of a Power built with Differing Modifiers.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/79758-active-point-total-for-differing-modifiers/

I based my question on the Gift of Flight Spell described on 6E1 359.

Flight 20m (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2).  Total cost: 13 points.

13 Base Points, Usable By Other (+1/4) (16 Active Points); OAF (Magic Wand; -1), Requires A Roll (Magic roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).  Total cost: 5 points.

I asked if the Power would be considered 16 Active Points (granting flight) or 36 Active Points (flight + granting flight).

Your answer was "The Active Point cost of 36 is correct."

I've just realized that the Areomancy spells in Hero System Grimoire (and Fantasy Hero Grimoire II) seem to conflict with this.

For example:

Augmented Accuracy  (The base spell doesn't list total Active Points, so I'll use one of the variants.)

"Strong Spell: Increase to +3 with All Combat.  65 Active Points; total cost 17 points."

+3 with All Attacks (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2).  Total cost: 20 points.

20 Base Points, Usable Simultaneously (up to 250 people at once; +2 1/4) (65 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; shard of a sword-blade that’s drawn blood in combat,; -1 1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Requires A Roll (Magic roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).  Total cost: 17 points.

The listed cost of 65 Active Points (instead of 95) would seem to indicate that the Active Points of the granted power aren't considered part of the power, which significantly affects things like Power Frameworks. 

1 answer to this question