Silver Age Aqualad - WIP

assault

This is a bit of a placeholder at the moment. I do actually have a first draft, but I won't post it just yet.

I'm trying to build a version of Aqualad as he was in the early, 1960s, Teen Titans. This will hopefully become the first of a series of such characters, plus he will provide a decent basis for building Aquaman.

The 60s aspect is important - this was when he and Aquaman mainly relied on their finny friends, who somehow tended to gain the ability to do impossible and often ludicrous things.

I'm finding modelling this a little tricky. I've considered using a VPP, to allow an open ended power set, but it's expensive and rather lazy.

Most of his (their) abilities are permutations of telekinesis, often at fairly high strength levels (special effect - whales). Other abilities include entangles, physical blasts, killing attacks and even tunneling. And, unfortunately, probably flash, darkness and various energy attacks (electrical - eels, sonic - noise making fish, etc). And he rides various critters, despite being second only to Aquaman in terms of being the world's fastest swimmer. (OK, Superman and maybe the Flash might be able to race him, but...). Then there are his information gathering abilities, and, and, and...

The animal communication and control powers in Champions Powers (5e USPD) don't really seem to handle this well. He's way cheesier than what I would let him get away with with those.

So has anyone any thoughts about this? The only Aquaman/Aqualad builds I've found tend to be based on later, saner, versions of the characters.

I'm looking at 6e, 400 points. In many respects the early Teen Titans would be a good match for Low-Powered Superhuman power levels, but there is that nasty thing where they are cut down versions of the Justice League, approaching their power levels in some areas as well. Aqualad, like Kid Flash, is a particularly good example.

So 400 it is.

Here's my super-rough first draft.

Aqualad

CHARACTERISTICS

Val       Char     Points   Roll

20         STR      10         13-

13         DEX      6          12-

20         CON     10         13-

13         INT       3          12-

10         EGO     0          11-

10         PRE     0          11-

7          OCV     20

7          DCV     20

3          OMCV 0

3          DMCV   0

4          SPD     20

7          PD        5

7          ED        5

16         REC     12

40         END     4

10         BODY   0

40         STUN    10

Total Cost 125

SKILLS, PERKS, & TALENTS

Cost  Name  Roll

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Climbing 12-

3 Conversation 11-

3 Criminology 12-

3 Deduction 12-

2 Navigation (Marine) 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Power 11-

2 Survival (Marine) 12-

3 Science Skill: Marine Biology 12-

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

5 Offensive Strike

3 Martial Throw

4 Martial Dodge

7 Lightning Reflexes (+7 DEX to act first with All Actions)

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

4 Environmental Movement (no penalties on)

Total Skills, Perks & Talents Cost 68

POWERS AND EQUIPMENT

Cost  Name  Power/Equipment  END

5 Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) applied to STR

5 Nightvision

14 Telepathy 5d6 (Animal class of minds); No Range (-½), Communication Only (-¼) 2

50 Swimming +60m (64m total) (x8 Noncombat), Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) 2

8 Life Support (Expanded Breathing; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold)

120 Variable Power Pool, 60 base + 60 control cost, No Skill Roll Required (+1), Powers Can Be

Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its

effectiveness (Ludicrous Marine Life Powers; -½)

Total Powers/Equipment Cost 202

TOTAL POINTS 395