Usable (As second mode of movement) Advantage Clarification

Deadman

Question

Sorry I keep running into these quandaries Steve but I have another one.

In the case of Usable (As Second Mode of Movement) I have a question regarding how it would play out when used on Running to make Leaping the second mode of movement.  I am using it to simulate a Parkour practitioner who can seamlessly combine the two modes of movement in a single phase.

If I buy Running 4" (Usable As Leaping +1/4)  I assume that the character's Running is now 10" with the addition of his base characteristic.  Easy enough.  My question is: Since it is bought as Usable As Leaping do the points still add to his base Leaping?  Or does it replace his Leaping entirely?  Or does it add to his Base Running to give him 10" of Leap (I figure that would require the Advantage to be added to the base characteristic)?

On page 158 of 6E1 it states, "The character has the same number of meters in the secondary mode of movement as he does with the primary mode of movement, regardless of their relative Character Point costs, whether one adds to the character’s base movement and the other doesn’t, or the like."

I am just unsure how it relates to the Base levels of those movement types.

Thanks,

Tom

1 answer to this question

The text you quoted deals with the situation where one form of Movement has free meters and the other doesn’t (e.g., Running and Flight). That’s pretty straightforward. The issue you’ve raised is what happens when both forms of Movement have free meters, which complicates matters a bit.

As discussed on 6E 157, if a character wants an Advantage to apply to all of a Movement Power that he has free meters of (i.e., Running, Leaping, and Swimming), he has to apply that Advantage to the cost of all the meters, even though he gets some for free. Following that logic, if a character buys Running +4m, Usable As Leaping (+¼), he has two choices:

1.  Pay for the Advantage for all of his Running (16m in this example), and then have that same number of meters worth of Leaping (16m here). He ignores the Leaping 4m he gets for free, since he hasn’t applied the Advantage to it.

2.  Pay for the Advantage for just some portion of his Running (4m in this example) and then have that same number of meters of Leaping (in both cases ignoring the free meters of each form of Movement he gets because he hasn’t applied the Advantage to them). Obviously this only makes sense if the character buys a sufficient amount of the more expensive form of Movement (in this example, he already has Leaping 4m, so the Advantage is a waste of points).